Chapter 21

Clarke

"Clarke." I heard a melodic whisper above me. I opened my eyes to see Lexa's bright green ones staring down at me. "We're here."

I looked up to see the tower spanning above us, with the rising moon below it. Grounders swarmed Polis, walking about it's streets.

It seemed as if I had been asleep for two minutes. "Already?"

Lexa nodded and smiled, looking up at the road. Astraeus continued to walk until we stood right next to the tower.

I sat up, stretched and yawned. Lexa helped me down, then jumped off herself. I leaned into her and rested my head on her shoulder the second she got off. She seemed pleasantly shocked.

"What are you doing, Clarke?"

"Sleeping." I mumbled into her shoulder. She wrapped her arm around my shoulders.

"We'll have plenty of time for that later." She said. "In the meantime, I have to take care of some things."

"Lexa, no." I whined. "You're always taking care of things."

She bit her lip and hesitated. "I--you know that I have my responsibilities, Clarke."

"I know. I just wish you didn't." I whispered.

"Me too." Lexa murmured. I looked up at her, and she was staring blankly at the trees. She seemed to be deep in thought. She realized I was staring and looked down. She grabbed my hands and put them by my sides before starting to walk away. "May we meet again." She said dramatically.

"Dammit, Lexa. Don't." I called. She turned around and smirked, almost walking into one of the guards. She turned back at the right time and just barely missed him, her face flushing a bright red. The guard acknowledged her and she nodded as she tried to compose herself. She walked into the tower hurriedly and I was left with an amused smile.

Raven, Octavia and Lincoln walked up behind me.

"So where's our rooms, Griff?" Raven asked, slinging a bag over her shoulder.

I looked up at the tower and back to them. "Uh...I'm not exactly sure." I probably should've gotten that information from Lexa before she left. Maybe Titus would know.

Oh. Wait. Titus was incarcerated. If we went up to the floor where Lexa's room or throne room was then maybe someone could help us there.

Raven, Octavia and Lincoln followed me as I walked into the entrance of the tower and towards the lift. Raven's mouth dropped open when she saw the pulley system.

"Oh. My. God." She said, walking into the lift with us. She couldn't take her eyes off of it.

"Yeah. It could use your help." I said.

"No, it really doesn't need it. It's amazing, Clarke. I can't believe this little system can pull us...what, 100 floors?" Raven guessed, feeling the structure of the lift. "But I could probably touch it up."

"That would be appreciated, Raven. Thank you." I said. I don't think Lexa really cared about the lift, and I sure didn't. But I wanted Raven to feel needed here, and her spending her time on this stupid lift would do the job.

After a few minutes we arrived on the throne room floor. I walked in, and the guards stationed by the lift bowed their heads to me.

"Was there a replacement for Titus?" I asked. "I don't want to bother the Commander, and I'd like to show my friends to their rooms." I really, really wanted to bother the Commander. However, I didn't think whoever she was with would be too happy.