Chapter 36

Lexa

My composure remained calm as the sentries escorted her in. She didn't fight them. In fact, she didn't need encouragement at all. She walked in smoothly and gracefully, and my sentries didn't need to push her forward or hold onto her in any way. I was proud of her doing so. She always acted childishly rebellious, and now she was thinking about the consequences of that rebelliousness.

The Nightbloods and the rest of the guests watched as Luna pulled out the chair at the end of the table and sat. She pulled it far enough away so people could stand in front of her and punish her how they pleased.

Her eyes snapped up to mine. She held my gaze and eventually guilt gave in and I had to tear my eyes away.

As a precaution, the sentries tied her wrists and feet to the chair. I could feel her penetrating eyes on me the entire time. The sentries glared at Luna with hatred.

"Now you know what Heda felt." One of them spat in Trigedasleng. I saw Raven frown and look around confusingly, wondering what he said. Occasionally I forgot that the Sky girl had still not become familiar with our language.

"Do your worst, sister." Luna whispered.

I looked back at her with wavering eyes. I wasn't going to do anything to her, but I didn't want the Nightbloods and Indra and Thrandr to know. I wanted them to make their decision without basing it off of what actions and decisions I was making. If I told them I wasn't going to hurt her, they would do the same.

I looked to the Nightbloods. I looked to the one sitting closest to Luna.

"Keene, you may go first." I said, my voice choking.

Keene stared down at his hands. He took a deep breath and stood, walking over to Luna. He took a small dagger out of its holster, right where I positioned mine, and lifted it toward Luna. She kept her eyes on me the whole time, not wanting to look at her attacker. Sneaking a glance back at her, though, I could see it meant a lot more than that.

She was doing this for me. For us. Whatever needed to be done in order for us to become sisters again, she was willing to do it. If my heart was not already broken, it shattered when I saw the way she looked at me.

She did not flinch as Keene came closer. He went to her shoulder and I could see her preparing herself for the pain.

But pain never came. Keene took his knife and cut a strand of her hair, about six inches long. Luna looked at the boy in shock as he sat back down, placing the strand on the table. He looked to me and nodded.

"Is that all?" I asked. I wasn't going to press my luck, but the Nightbloods should get any vengeance they desired.

He nodded. "Yes, Heda."

I bowed my head. "Very well. Joplin?"

Joplin stood and did the same, taking a strand from the other side of her head.

Alcoa, Novi, Wyan and Talie did the same. Easley walked over to Luna and instead of cutting her hair, cut through the ropes binding Luna. We all watched in awe as Easley worked to free Luna. Easley looked to me after she was done.

"I'm sorry, Heda, but what she did to you does not have to be reciprocated. Jus no drein jus daun." She said.

I swelled with pride. I cared for Easley, and I believed she was a strong warrior. But I had never seen this wise, knowing side of her. I smiled softly and nodded to her.

"Do not apologize, Easley. You are right." I said. She smiled and went back to her seat. The only one of the Natblidas left was Aden.

He was staring straight down , burning holes into the wood of the table. We all looked over at him.