Chapter 39

Clarke

Lexa and I ran back to the clearing, although we weren't in too much of a rush. The guards wouldn't let any actual harm to come to Raven or the Nightbloods.

We pushed through the trees to see Raven on top of Easley, holding a staff to her neck with burning eyes. I knew Raven would regret that action when Easley kneed Raven on the behind, sending Raven crashing forward. Easley somersaulted and stood with the staff that was once pointed against her neck. With a growl, Easley ran forward at Raven, who was still trying to get to her feet.

"Easley!" Lexa snapped next to me. She looked furious at the girl. Easley's eyes widened and she dropped the staff in an instant. Raven stood and tried to catch her breath.

Lexa marched toward the Nightblood and grabbed the staff off the ground.

"What is the meaning of this?"

"It just got a little out of hand." Raven said. "That's all."

Lexa looked to Easley. "Is this true?"

"Yes, Heda." She whispered, her eyes glued to the ground.

"I taught you better than this." Lexa said.

"Maybe if you were actually here..." Easley talked back under her breath. I was sure she was hoping it would go unnoticed, but it did not. Lexa's eyes narrowed at the girl and she moved forward. I was taken aback. It almost looked like she wanted to hurt the Nightblood.

"Lexa." I said calmly. She stopped in her tracks.

"You will train by yourself with Indra for the next week." Lexa said. The other Nightbloods looked at Easley with pity.

"Please, Heda! Not Indra!" Easley begged.

"It is final." Lexa said. Easley sighed and nodded before walking off to join the others. Lexa glanced at Raven. She just shook her head and walked off, disappointment blossoming on her face.

Once she left, I turned toward my friend. "What the hell, Raven? You're an adult, you should've stopped it before it started."

Raven sighed. "I know—I....I'm sorry."

"You should apologize to Easley, not me." I said. Raven nodded sadly. I couldn't believe that I actually had to scold her.

I met up with Lexa and we all mounted our horses in silence. Raven rode behind us, and the Nightbloods after her.

"I'm sorry about Raven." I said to Lexa. She shook her head.

"Raven is not your responsibility. She makes her own choices." Lexa said. "As does Easley."

"I thought they would be causing mischief while we were gone. I thought they would be having fun." I said.

"So did I." Lexa looked at me and sighed, noticing my sad expression. "It is not Raven, nor is it us. Easley has always had trouble controlling her anger—her emotions. Aden balances her well in that respect."

"They're best friends, aren't they?" I asked.

Lexa nodded. "For now."

I smiled at what she was implying. I glanced over at my shoulder at the two Natblidas. Aden was comforting her on being yelled at Lexa, and they were probably relating in their anger at her. I saw Easley softly smile at something Aden said.

For now.

Luna looked up when she heard footsteps down the stairs of the dungeon. She smiled at Lexa, and was disappointed when Lexa didn't reciprocate.