Chapter 25

Clarke

"You can't change everything!" One of Lexa's generals yelled, slamming his fist on the table. He reminded me of the general who had tried to kill me. And then Lexa heroically saved me with insane accuracy.

Lexa sat in her throne, looking regal as ever as she addressed her generals and ambassadors about this new policy she wished to enforce. Some warriors and handmaidens moved throughout the room, lighting the candles that Raven and I had blown out. I watched sheepishly, knowing that everyone probably knew that we had done it.

"Do you remember why the remaining Nightbloods had to die?" Lexa questioned her generals and ambassadors. They all looked at each other for the answer. "Anyone?"

"If they don't win, they might return to challenge the heda." One of the ambassadors said.

"Their legitimacy will not be recognized." Lexa said simply. "Everyone will already know who the true Heda is."

The Ambassador quieted. She didn't seem as if she wanted to speak against Lexa in the first place.

"So what happens with the Nightbloods after the conclave?" A general asked.

"They can do what they'd like. If they are skilled, the Heda may appoint them as an ambassador, general or otherwise. If they aren't or do not wish to be part of Polis life, they are free to leave." Lexa said.

The ambassadors and generals looked around at each other. It seemed as if this made complete sense to them, but they were shocked that they had killed children for so long. To them, it seemed wrong not to.

Thrandr stepped forward. "All in favor of this new policy."

Most of the Ambassadors and generals raised their hands, including myself. Lexa smiled at me and nodded. Only the Ice Nation Ambassador and a few cold generals didn't raise their hands. Unlike the vote that challenged Lexa, this one didn't need to be unanimous. Lexa only needed the majority to put her plan in motion.

Lexa smiled softly. I could tell she wanted to smile giddily and run around the room at the thought of her kids being able to live full, long lives. But like always, she remained her composure.

Thrandr nodded. "It is decided. The Nightbloods will be spared."

Lexa stood. "You are dismissed."

The Ambassadors and generals stood and left quickly. Some were actually smiling. I guess most of us were united when it came to the lives of children.

I walked up to Lexa. She broke out into a wide grin and abruptly wrapped her arms around me, suffocating me in her jacket. I smiled and leaned into her, reciprocating the hug.

"Thank you for supporting me." She murmured. I couldn't believe she even had to thank me for supporting her. I loved Lexa, and I was beginning to love those kids. It was against my nature to not support Lexa. And I wasn't going to let these kids die. I had let kids die--I had killed children--at Mount Weather. Knowing how that felt, I wasn't going to do that again.

"Of course." I said. "There was never another option."

Lexa pulled away and held onto my forearms.

"I'm sure they'll be happy to hear the news." I said to her.

"Would you like to come with me?" Lexa asked. "To tell the Nightbloods?"

I smiled and nodded. "Yeah."

Lexa and I walked hand in hand to the Nightblood's room. We continued to hold hands even as we walked inside, knowing it would make them even more giddy.