Illiana

"Granny, Granny, look what I made"! yelled a high pitched child.
Diane looked up from her newspaper. Before her eyes was a dark haired, blue eyed five year old child with paint all over her hands, face and clothing, holding up a picture with her hand prints in rainbow colors.
"I see you've made quite a mess", she laughed. "It's beautiful, just like you" Diane stood up, "Let's put this on the counter to dry and get you cleaned up"
She took her granddaughter into the bathroom and ran the bath.
"I can do that", Lyndsey called from the doorway, looking like she painted herself as well.
"Nonsense", she replied. "What are grandmother's for"?

After her bath Illiana  put on her pajamas and Lyndsey combed her dark brown hair. She had the hair and lips of her father and Lyndsey's  eyes. The perfect combination.
"Mommy"? Illiana started.
"Yes sweetheart", Lyndsey answered.
Illiana sighed a deep sigh and continued. "Why don't I have a daddy like other kids"?
The question choked Lyndsey and her eyes started to get glossy.
Lyndsey turned Illiana around to face her and she cupped her face in her hands. "Because  your daddy is an angel honey". Lyndsey said as a tear escaped her eye.
"Why"? Illiana asked. "Didn't he wanna stay with us"?
Lyndsey started to cry now. This is what she dreaded the most. Explaining why her five year old doesn't have a father. 
"Your daddy passed away before I knew you were even in my belly". Lyndsey wiped her eyes.  "He looks over you from heaven". She smiled pointing to the sky.
"What happened"? Illiana questioned.
"That I can not tell you now, you are way too young to understand".
"Can we visit him, like pop pop"?
Lyndsey smiled and closed her eyes.
William passed away past last year from colon cancer. But at least he got to meet his granddaughter.
"He's buried in Philadelphia, where we lived".
"Can we go there"? Illiana asked.
Lyndsey sat there thinking how this was going to work out. Could she move back to Philadelphia? She did miss Kim and Alex, who got married two years ago and now have a son named Zachary. What would Diane think?  She's fond of her granddaughter.
"I'll think about it", she finally said.  "But now it's bedtime for you young lady", she finished while tucking Illiana into bed.
Lyndsey bent down and kissed her daughter on her forehead.
"Goodnight mommy, I love you"
"Goodnight baby, I love you more than ever"
Lyndsey exited her daughter's room and went into the living room where Diane was sitting with a cup of tea and a book. 
Diane looked up and saw the troubled look written on Lyndsey's face.
"What's wrong"? Diane asked setting her book down.
"Well, Illiana asked about her dad", she said. "She wants to go visit him"
Diane nodded her head. "Are you going to take her"?
Lyndsey contemplated for a moment.
"I was thinking that if I go hack I might want to stay. I still have my home there". Lyndsey  replied. "Why don't you come with us"? "You don't need to be here all by yourself".
Diane took a sip of tea then leaned back into her chair, crossing her legs.
"You know, never in all my life could I imagine that I would lose my child,  then my husband so soon. I also,  didn't think I would gain someone who I consider a daughter and now a granddaughter", Diane said. "But honestly, I can't imagine my life without you two".
Both Lyndsey and Diane started to tear up. This was a happy moment for them.  Neither one of them would be alone now.

                             ***
Kim picked up her phone on the second ring.
"Hello"?
"Hey Kim", Lyndsey said "Guess what"?
"Uh oh, I'm afraid to ask", Kim told her.
"I'm coming home", Lyndsey stated.