Cherry Blossoms

Saturday morning Lyndsey woke with a start, possibly from the dream that she had. It seemed so real, but she knew it wasn't. Ian was dead. She brushed her light brown hair back and got out of bed. She was sweating. She thought the air conditioner was on. She doesn't remember turning it off. She went to the bathroom to take a shower.

Diane and Illiana were in the kitchen making chocolate chip pancakes when Lyndsey came downstairs.
"Did you turn the air off last night"?
Lyndsey asked Diane.
"No, it was quite warm out", Diane replied. "I did notice that when I woke up".
It was all strange. Lyndsey went to grab the paper off the step. She opened the front door and on the top step in front of her she saw a red gift bag. Looking around, up and down the street she bent down and picked it up. She didn't see anyone. She took the bag into the living room and saw there was a card. She opened it and read:
For Lyndsey, my beautiful woman.
You smell so great wearing this, I didn't want you to run out.
I love you, until the end of time!
Unsigned.
Inside the bag was a bottle of her favorite Cherry Blossom perfume. The only one who knew what brand she used, was Ian. And Ian is dead. She witnessed that five years ago when she found his body.
Who sent this? And Why?
Why seems to be the question I have been asking myself most lately. Lyndsey started crying.
Diane came in and asked what's wrong.
"He's back", Lyndsey said.
"Who"?
Lyndsey explained what had happened with the text messages from five years ago. Something she never told anyone. And she showed her the card that was sent with the gift.
"Diane, the watch I gave Ian was inscribed, until the end of time". That watch was missing from his personal effects", Lyndsey proclaimed.
Before she could say another word Illiana walked in the room.
"Granny, it's time to flip the pancakes".
Diane headed toward the kitchen.
"We will talk later", she said before flipping the pancakes.

Later that afternoon while Illiana was taking a nap, Diane say with Lyndsey in the kitchen as they talked over a cup of coffee.
"The person who killed Ian, stole his watch", Lyndsey started. "Whoever it is has been here, and possibly in the house to know what I wear. They left that gift."
"I'm going to call a locksmith and have the locks changed, just in case". Diane said.

                            ***
The next morning the locksmith changed out the locks from both front and back door.
Diane wanted to be extra secure so she had an alarm installed as well. Illiana began asking questions about all this work, Diane had to fib a little and tell her there were burglaries. Although it could be true, somewhere.