Invitation

That Saturday Lyndsey spent the morning at the park with Illiana. Then went to get ice cream at Dairy Queen.
They girls were giggling and have a good time. When the door opened Lyndsey looked up and caught the sight of Mike.
This must be one small town,  Lyndsey thought.
"Oh hey", Mike said.
"Hey"
"Small town huh"? He laughed.
Can he read my mind too?
Lyndsey nodded.
"Illiana right"? He asked.
Illiana looked up, nodded and smiled a faint smile.
Mike stood there for a moment looking nervous.
"It's been too long since we've seen each other. How about you come over for dinner and we can catch up". Mike said to Lyndsey. "Like old times,  before-". He decided to stop there.
"Yeah,  I guess it would be ok".
"Tonight"?
"That's fine".
After they were finished talking about dinner,  Mike made his way to the counter. Lyndsey and Illiana left. Once out of the parking lot, Mike made his way out of the store.

Once home Lyndsey told Diane she was going to Mike's house for a friendly dinner. She wrote down his address. She remembered it after all these years.
"Mike was such a wonderful friend to Ian", Diane recalled. "Those boys got into some trouble as youngsters".
"They grew up together? I didn't know that"
"Since third grade, they were inseparable". Diane smiled. "Always seemed to like the same girl"
Lyndsey smiled. 
It was nice to talk about Ian without crying or even getting upset.  She loved hearing Diane's story about him as a kid. It made her feel like she knew him better.

Lyndsey wanted to keep her attire simple. Jeans and a tee shirt. Who did she need to impress? She wasn't one to doll herself up. If she wore make up it was very little. Everyone told her that her natural beauty is just enough. So just a spritz of her perfume.
Lyndsey headed downstairs to Diane and Illiana, who were in the kitchen eating burgers.
"I should be home by 8:30. I want to tuck my princess in. But if you need me, call me".
"Don't you worry", Diane sighed. "We're going to he fine, she mentioned watching Beauty and the Beast, again".
Lyndsey laughed. Well it is her favorite,  she thought.
She bent down and gave Illiana a kiss on the forehead. "I'll see you later, love you".
And headed out the door.