Homecoming

Two weeks later, Lyndsey, Illiana and Diane arrived in Philadelphia.
Illiana sat in her booster seat staring out of the window at everything in awe. This was her new home now.  Although it was near the end of August and she was used to the sun and warm weather, she will experience winter for the first time this year.
"Almost there baby", Lyndsey  called from the driver seat.
Lyndsey had called and had all the utilities restored last week. She would get home and let Diane and Illiana settle in before she makes her way to the supermarket.
Fifteen minutes later Lyndsey pulled up out front of the home she was supposed to start her family in. 
"We're here sweetie".
They all exited the car and started carrying bags into the house. Lyndsey wasn't all that shocked to see cleaning was in order. Dust was everywhere. Five year old dust. 
"Oh my dear", Diane said.  "We're going to be busy".
Lyndsey finished unloading the car and told Diane that she would go to the store to get things that they would need. 

                           ***
The door opened to the room where there were a small group of people from the parole board at Central Prison in Raleigh, North Carolina.
The officer brought the man in and sat him before them.
"Mr. Harris", the balding man called out. "We have gone over your case file, but I must ask you this very important question. How do you feel towards your actions for what you did"?
Fidgeting nervously in his seat Mr. Harris looked and replied,  "I know what I did was wrong and I am very sorry for what happened. I wish I can go back to before that moment and not drink and drive". He sighed.  "Sir, I can assure you I am not an alcoholic and will never drink before or during driving again. Again, I am very sorry"

The panel took their private meeting to discuss what actions to take.
What seemed like forever only took twenty minutes.  The parole board came back in the room. This time, a red haired woman with wire rimmed glasses stood up.  "Mr. Harris, we feel as though you have served your time for the involuntary vehicular manslaughter of Nicole Delano", she starts.  "Mr. Harris,  we would also like for you to attend AA meetings and report to your parole officer once a month. I do not want to see this sort of thing happen again. You are too young to be so reckless with not only your life but the lives of others".
With that said, she stamped his release papers and handed them to the officer. 
"Thank you".

He gathered all his belongings that they took from his car after the wreck.  Thank god he had cash in his wallet, the watch and his precious camera. It was all he needed.  He had to get back to Lyndsey, even if he was gone for five years. He missed her even more. He hailed a taxi and asked to be dropped off at the nearest car rental lot. 
Determined, he made his way back to Jacksonville, Florida.
Arriving after six hours,  he came to the condominium where she would be. It was 5pm when he arrived. He knew which window to look for and saw it was dark. That was odd. William and Diane should have at least a lamp on. 

Brazen, he emerged from his rental car and entered the building.
The guard at the front desk greeted him,  "Hello sir, may I help you"?
"Is Mr. and Mrs. Montgomery home"?  He asked.  "I'm an old friend of the family".
The guard looked puzzled.
"Mr. Montgomery passed last year and Mrs. Montgomery moved to Philadelphia with her daughter and granddaughter".
Suddenly it was as if the wind got knocked right out of him.
Granddaughter?
She had HIS child!
Fuck! Fuck! FUCK! His brain shouted.
"Oh. I had no idea. I was out of town.  Thank you". He said and walked to his car.
"So, she's home! PERFECT"! He said to himself and smiled.