Chapter 31 - Facing Reality

[NOT EDITED]

Katherine's POV

I turned on the TV , scrolling through the channels trying to let time pass and to occupy my mind with anything other than what happened today.

But even with the TV turned on , my mind is somewhere else busy overthinking it.

Did Caleb see the papers ?

I don't know. I just hope he didn't.

But what if he did ?

Would he do something ? What would happen ?

Many questions roamed my mind but they directly get interrupted when i heard the main door opening.

Ashton is back ?

Weird.

When i heard his footsteps nearing , my eyes directly went toward him , his gaze fixated on the ground as he walked inside.

His hair messed up , he is holding his suit jacket in his hand , his white dress shirt halfway unbuttoned , both sleeves rolled up.

"Ashton." I called his name to grab his attention. He stopped walking , he slowly lifted his head , his eyes met mine and I don't why i felt my heart crack.

His eyes told me there is something wrong. Confused and worried , I directly stood up and walked toward him.

"What's wrong ?" I asked. When my hand touched his arm , he flinched and directly backed away, his eyes still not leaving mine, it was like they're blaming me.

My heart dropped in my stomach due to his action. I swallowed hard , "Ashton , what happened ?" I asked as i inched closer toward him.

He looked at me for a second before he shook his head , "What happened ?!" He asked in a mocking tone. He let out a low pained chuckle making my heartbeats accelerate.

He placed his suit jacket on the couch near us , his hand went toward one of the pockets and he took something out.

A paper.

He was suffocating it from how tight his hold is. Something fired in his eyes , his jaw ticked , he threw the paper making it drop in front of me , "This happened !" He said, his tone started to scare me.

I looked at his face then back at the paper , hesitantly and with my heart racing in my chest i knelt down and took it in my hand. Unfolding it , taking only one look , it felt like all the oxygen left my lungs.

My body stiffened. I find it hard to breath.

No, no.

He wasn't supposed to know like this.

"I was going to tell you." I found my voice and said. I kept looking down unable to meet his eyes again.

"Really ?" He said , his mocking tone back , "When ?"

I kept silent.

"When i was going to be informed about this ?" He added , his voice raising , "When Katherine ? AFTER YOUR DEATH ?!!"

I flinched at his tone or maybe at the way the death word rolled out of his mouth.

I kept silent , i think i lost my voice , my eyes still looking at the paper in my hand - in my shaking hand to be precise. Afraid to look up. Afraid of the look in his eyes.

Yes, i am afraid. I've always been afraid of this moment. I knew it would come one day. I knew i would have to face reality by the end. But I didn't know it's going to be this much hard.