Chapter 25

Chapter 25

Even if things take time, and we're both impatient, some things are worth waiting for.

HARRY'S POV

My gaze isn't set on anything particular, just watching people dance and drink to the high heavens. But I do keep a steady eye on Shay as she speaks to Sid rather loudly about when she went to a football game when she was young. He listens, not minding that's she's on the verge of being drunk, and laughs when Shay frails her arms about, recalling what happened. I've come to realise that Shay is very happy when she's on a buzz; more happy that usual.

My hand has never left hr uncovered knee, so she knows who she belongs to. Me. I'm glad that she's wearing a dress, one that I picked out at that. She only brought two dresses when she left her house, one of which was too long for my liking. The one she wears now is deep purple that comes down to mid-thigh, and only has one shoulder strap from the plunging 'v' shaped bust. Her hair is as usual, straight with waves interrupting every once and a while. Though she's in a dress, Shay refused to wear heels and put on her only flats.

I hear the other guys, Steven, Ty, William, and Luke talking about a few of the women in the club. Kylie and Emily are on the dance floor, grinding on men they just met. I don't linger on them long when Lucas, who's sitting on the other side of me, nudges me with his elbow. Like me, he's leaned back in his chair with a drink in his hand, and two empty shot glasses of vodka in front of him.

"So have you heard?" Lucas asks, not looking at me. I do the same, not meeting his eyes, but I can see him shifting in his seat. He only does this─ these actions ─when its business, but my mind is hazing over as I take another swig of beer.

"Yes, Lucas, we all know you shaved."

"Har, har, very funny," he says sarcastically. "But no. I'm talking about Evan gaining more recruiters. He's building by the day, Harry."

Though things become serious very quickly, I remain impassive from his words. No, I wasn't aware of this until now, but instinct gave me a feeling Evan was becoming stronger. The men from the alley were only a small─ very small ─portion of Evan's men. He's basically growing an army and will except anyone who can hold a gun.

And our organization is working to rat them out.

We're the ones that have to beat Evan and his men before he takes over small towns and then London. We try and make sure, young, teen-aged boys─ and some girls ─don't do anything that will make Evan notice them, but sometimes it's not that easy. But my department works with computers. Getting past fire walls and cameras, keeping check on stocks─ very tedious things to say the least. And Lucas is the start of it all. He's our boss, the one who first decided that Evan's little "gang" needed to be stopped when Evan's dad was still alive.

Evan's father died three years ago by Lucas' bullet. Little did we know, he had a son that he had kept a secret; and when word got out about his father's murder, Evan rose to take leadership.

With these thoughts running through my mind, I take another drink from the middle of the table and pop off the metal top. "Let's deal with this later, yeah?"

Lucas nods, and glances to Shay who is chugging heavily from her beer bottle. "You should dance with her," he points his chin towards her.

It's rare when Lucas gives out advice─ especially about this topic ─because he expects us to already know it, but I have a feeling he's right.

Throwing my arms up in defeat from his glare with a grin, I lean into Shay, my mouth by her ear. I feel her still from my proximity and the bitter smell of beer surrounds her like a second coating of skin.