Chapter 38

Chapter 38

None of us knows what happen even the next minute, yet still we go forward. Because we trust. Because we have faith.

Harry drives down a quiet, narrow street with soft music of an artist I've never heard of playing in the background. We've been in this confined space for no longer ten minutes, Harry saying it's a bit too late for a formal dinner. "How do you feel about midnight snacks?" He asked. I said it was fine, and that's all that was said since we left the place where the competition was held. We'll have an hour drive back from where we are now and it's just about eleven o'clock and the full moon is up in the sky.

Harry parked his car on the side of the road in an empty space among all the others. Outside my window is the light of a place called the "Waffle House" shining through the two front windows. The red neon lights bring colour to concrete sidewalk.

While I was studying the building I didn't notice Harry getting out of the car until he was at my side, opening the door, and offering me his hand. I'm somewhere between reluctant to take his hand and too hasty to do so. But I took it anyways and he pulled me from the warm interior and out into the chilly night. Harry lets me go almost immediately, and I pull my coat tighter to me.

Inside, I halt beside Harry, nearly touching him as I survey the small, yet cosy restaurant. There are two rows of seating, red booths against the wall, and two seat tables between the booths and the glass display cases. You'd think this place was a ghost town at this time of night if it weren't for the two employees wiping down the tables and an interracial couple sitting in a booth at the back whispering quietly to themselves. The display cases show off the assortment of sweets and ice cream─ which I find odd seeing as it's a waffle house ─but everything looks delicious.

Harry turns to face me. "You can get anything you want."

I had no doubt that Harry would be paying for me. I would usually reject, but I know it's no use. The first and last time I ever told Harry I could pay for myself was one night at his flat and he said he would order take-away. Least to say I didn't have to pay.

So with that said, he lets me choose first at the counter. I order two waffles with strawberries, blueberries, and a bit of whipped cream, along with a coffee to which Harry stifled a snort at. I roll my eyes without him seeing. I need the caffeine right now if I plan to make it through midnight.

Harry orders two waffles with baked cinnamon apples and a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top with a coffee for himself.

The waitress tells us it'll be a moment so we find a seat at the booths; Harry sits across from me.  

I lick my lips as we stay quiet. I trace the table pattern, too alert of Harry's eyes on me and I'm unable to meet them. There are too many questions and I'm afraid there's not enough time. And we're wasting even more by not talking. Will he start, or should I?

I risk fleeting glance up, only to be caught by Harry's intense stare. Looking back down I think, might as well.

"So," I start, "how do you know this place?"

Already Harry posture straightens up reluctantly, avoiding my eyes now. Did I say something wrong?

"Um...yeah, I-I...I lived around here once."

I freeze. "You did?" Harry nods. "With your Mother?"

He looks up, his jaw clenched and eyes hard. Shit, I hit his soft spot and he didn't like it. I regret asking the latter part, it's not my place to ask such a question.

"I'm sorry─"

"Don't," Harry cuts me short. "Don't be. You know, I've been thinking lately that we promised to be honest with each other, and I wasn't. That's why you left, because I had betrayed your trust in me. I shouldn't have kept that from you, and I'm sorry. I want to try, if at all possibly, to gain that trust back." Harry's eyes turn sincere. "So, yes. I did live here with Mum. As far as I know she still lives in the same house, but I haven't seen her in years so I can't be positive."