The Start

Life's Little Storms:

The summers sounds and scents wrapped around me as I made my way through the crowded park. I had finished my last final hours before and had been waiting at home for an update. Anna had eventually texted me to let me know that she was waiting for me in the park a block away from my house. She was here already and was leaning against the metal railing across from me. Two guys were already leaning next to her, drooling over her every word.

"Speak of the devil." She grinned over at me. The guys turned to grinned at me as well.

I grinned back at her, trying to act comfortable underneath everyone staring at me. "Oh?"

Anna jumped down from the railing and took my arm before leading me a few feet away from them. "Guess what?!"

I counted the things on what she could possibly tell me. The guys wanted her number...offered to be her Prince Charming...the usual guy line for Anna. "What?"

"They just invited us to go to Glow Stix!"

I immediately hesitated upon hearing this. Glow Stix was a popular people party. It had lots of pretty, popular people, food, and booze. It seemed like every year something there would go wrong. Whether it be someone drinking and driving, someone drowning in the ocean, or a fight breaking out. Whatever it was, I didn't want to be the one who turned into a statistic.

"Anna...you know how I feel about night swimming." I frowned at my best friend. It was a good excuse as to why I didn't want to go. Especially since I hated night swimming.

Anna rolled her eyes. "Please, 'Lody. We won't stay for more than an hour."

I was trying to fight her, but she kept a firm grip on my arm until I finally gave in, "Fine. But I'm not drinking or swimming."

Anna wrapped her arms around me with a squeal. She quickly pecked my cheek then led us back to the two flirty guys.

,*.

It has been over an hour and the only thing I've managed to accomplish is to slap one of the upper class men who tried to kiss me.

"Anna." I snapped, crossing my arms over my chest.

She looked at me with an irritated glare. Anna held up one finger to the guy she was with before grabbing my arm and leading me down the beach. We only made it at least ten feet before she face planted into the sand. I stared at her as she rolled onto her back, giggling.

"Are you not having fun, Meloooody?" She giggled further. "I know I am!"

I plopped myself down next to her and rolled my eyes. The powder sand squished up between my toes. Anna grabbed my wrist.

"Let's go swimming!"

"No."

Anna got up anyways and waddled towards the water. She was up to her waist before she turned to look at me. "C'mon!"

I got to my feet. "Anna come back here before you get hurt!"

She waved me off. I crossed my arms and stuck my hip out to the side. I spent a few more minutes hollering at her before giving up. I plopped back next to my bag and listened to Anna's drunk singing. I twirled the green glow stick around my ankle until the singing stopped. I brushed the sand away from my back as I stood up.

"Anna?" I asked in a small voice.

There was no reply.

I waited a few seconds before yelling her name again. Wave after wave crashed onto the shore yet I didn't see her head bob up. I walked to where the waves were breaking.

Anna's arms quickly launched out of the water then her head followed. I breathed a sigh of relief.

"Anna! You bit-" Anna's loud, piercing scream cut me off.

"Help! Help me!" Her head sunk underneath for a second. "Melody!"

My legs were moving before my mind could comprehend what was going on. I was battling the salty walls. I quickly reached the place where Anna once was floating. I ducked under and opened my eyes. All I could see was red. Red?

...Blood.

I kicked myself back to the surface with a silent scream. I felt something brush against my leg and hip. Flinching away, I swung my hand to knock it away. At the last second, my mind processed that it was Anna.

I wrapped my arms around her waist and began dragging her to the shore. I pulled her close enough to where I could press my bag against her side and press my phone against my ear.

"Hello, 911. What is your emergency?"

"There's been a shark attack. I need an ambulance now!" Even to my own ears, my voice sounded as though it belonged to a psycho. "She's bleeding. She's losing too much blood!"

"Miss, I need you to keep calm and explain the situation to me. Is the girl conscious?"

I glanced at Anna's fluttering eyes. "Barely."

"The police have found your location and are heading there as we speak. I need you to stay calm and keep pressure on the wound, okay?"

"O-okay."

The sirens could already be heard and a few kids from the party were beginning to wonder over. Anna's eyes began to flutter less as the minutes passed by.

"H-hey, stay with me, Ans. the medics are going to be here any second. They're going to help you." Tears began to roll down my face faster. I was so busy trying to keep myself calm that I didn't notice someone pulling me away from Anna. "No! I'm coming with!"

The medic helped lift me into the back of the ambulance. I grasped Anna's hand firmly in mine while the medics tried to keep her awake. Her eyes were looking at the man, though they were unfocused.

He leaned over to his walkie talkie. "Patient has gone into hypovolemic shock."

The ambulance came to an abrupt stop and the doors were thrusted open. Nurses and doctors surrounded Anna in an instant, all of them yelling different things. I tried to keep up with them, but I quickly lost sight of them. I waited a few seconds before I dropped to my knees.

,*.

It had been hours since someone last talked to me. A nurse came to tell me that Anna was in surgery. My dad told me that I looked terrible before fussing over the fact that I was covered in blood. It was to hard to convince him that I was okay. My arms and torso were covered in blood. Anna's blood. I could only imagine what my hair looked like.

"Melody?"

I glanced up to meet the stormy gray eyes of the medic from earlier. He was nervously twisting the edge of his coat between his fingers.

"I'm sorry to inform you, but miss Kendrick has..."

Everything seemed to go on mute. Then slow motion. The doctors lips were moving, but I couldn't hear a sound. My heart and stomach dropped to the floor. I slowly began to back away from him before breaking into a run. Once outside I leaned my palms against the wall until my knees gave out. I pressed my hands against my face and cried. I cried until my father forced me off of the ground and into the car. Leaving my best friend to rot in the hospitals emergency room.