Aftermath

Life's Little Chapters 11

~Jacob~

Carlisle set a glass of water on my night table. I watched him through half lidded eyes as he continued to write things down. My heart ached at the fact that I could smell where Melody has been around him. She's been around Emily, too. Her scent was stronger on us than the Cullen's. I didn't deserve a visit from, I didn't deserve anything at all.

I closed my eyes as I remembered the look on Melody's face when she saw me kissing Bella. I knew it was wrong while I was kissing her, but somewhere I had convinced myself that I should do it. That maybe if I kissed her, my feelings for my imprint would just disappear. But that was the thing about having an imprint. No matter how much you convince yourself you love another person, they still manage to make you feel a high that didn't involve drugs.

"Have you heard from Melody?" I asked, quietly.

Carlisle stopped writing, a look of surprised on his face. "Nobody told you?"

"Told me what?"

"She was attacked during the battle. She was running away from what we assume was Victoria."

I tried to sit up, but gave a shout of pain. "Where is she?!"

"Jacob, you need to calm down, please." He gently pushed me back into my bed. "She isn't dead, Jacob. But she isn't like herself. She isn't responding to the treatment very well."

"Is she...?"

"No. She isn't a vampire."

Carlisle grabbed his things while I thought about everything that happened to Melody. If I never kissed Bella, Melody would be here by my side. I closed my eyes and thought about her beside me. Her fingers sliding through my hair, her voice whispering sweet things into my ear.

"I screwed things up with her. If she dies, the last thing that I will remember of her is that I broke her heart."

"Melody has a kind heart, Jacob. I'm sure she will forgive you."

He left after giving me a sad smile. I was left to think about how badly I screwed things up with Melody.

,*.

When I was well enough to move from my bed the first thing I did was grab my car and drive over to the cafe. Max was wiping the bar down, and the lunch rush seemed to be over. The only people left were business men and a woman with a little boy. Max glared at me and tossed the rag over his shoulder.

"I don't allow dogs in my cafe."

The irony in that statement. "I just wanted to see if you've seen Melody."

"Have I seen my dying niece?" Max placed a finger on his chin. "Yeah, when the paramedics rushed her into the hospital!"

"Did she tell you what happened?"

"Yes, after her heart stopped beating."

I stopped breathing. Wouldn't I feel something if my imprint had died? Someone would've told me, right? I know that Seth has been talking with her because her scent is all over him all the time. Or was I going crazy?

Max began to speak once more, but I was already out the door. The rabbit sped down the street. I cruised my way down the road until I slowed into the parking lot. The lady at the front desk stared at me with curiosity. A giant guy on crutches probably looked pretty comical to others.

"Is Melody Waters here?"

"Yes."

"May I see her?"