Fight

Life's Little Storms Ch. 17

~Jacob~

When I walked into the room minutes after he had disappeared, and was shocked by the sight I saw. Seth was kneeling in the carpet behind Rosalie. He had his gaze locked on the baby in her arms. Renesmee was gazing back at Seth, and I immediately knew what had happened. Seth imprinted on her. I dropped to my knee's behind him. How did this life get so screwed up?

"Bro..." Seth murmured.

I placed a hand on his shoulder. "I know, Seth."

He took a deep breath, and there was a moment of silence until there was a flurry of voices outside. Rosalie quickly stood up from the chair and began backing away.

"They're here." She said, looking panicked. "The wolves are here."

When Seth and I had made it outside, Melody was standing in front of the Cullens with her arms spread. Her back was heaving from the sobs that were still coming out of her mouth. She took a step toward Sam.

"It doesn't have to be this way!" She yelled at him. I could smell a fresh start of tears break from her chest. "Everyone has already lost enough."

Everyone except Melody saw the hesitation amongst the rest of the wolves except for Sam. Sam faltered for a second before launching himself at Melody. His head drove into her stomach and sent her flying to the side. Anger drove through me like a hot stick.

"Hell, no!" I growled before launching my own body into the air and shifting into my wolves. I snarled at Sam, causing everyone else to cringe away.

Without thinking, I tore into Sam. I clawed wherever I could reach, and I bit into his neck. His whimper broke through the night, but I didn't care. All I could see was him hitting Melody. I backed away for a second, and Sam slowly got to his feet. I barely gave him a second before I rammed my head into his side. Sam went spiraling sideways. My rage was nowhere over.

"Jacob." Edward said before I went to bite Sam again. I looked at him, to see him staring at Melody. Embry had shifted back to his human form, and he and Carlisle were leaning over her motionless body. "Melody needs you."

A white cloud puffed out my lips when I exhaled. Without a second thought, I slammed my paw into Sam's leg, crushing the bone. Sam howled before changing back. He cradled his now broken hand to his naked chest, tears running down his face.

"Jake, I'm so sorry." He cried. "I forgot how fragile she would be."

I shifted and growled. I pointed an angry voice at him, "Count your blessings, Uley. If her heart stops beating, I will make damn sure that yours does too."

I turned and jogged over to Melody. Her breathing was harsh and shallow.

"Melody." I murmured, smoothing my hand over her hair. "Keep breathing, Melody. Please, keep breathing."

~Melody~

"Son of a..." I groaned, attempting to roll over. I quickly stopped when a sharp pain cracked through my ribs. I gasped, momentarily paralyzed by the pain.

"Mel, if you would stop doing that, you would probably heal a lot faster." A deep voice chuckled beside me. I turned my head to see Jacob gazing at me with an amused look on his face. "Good afternoon, Melody."

"How long have I been out?" I rasped.

"A few days. Not too long, especially after the spill you took." The smile left his face. "Sam head butted you out of the way. He hurt you, so that he could fight."

Jacob shook his head. "He broke the most sacred rule. I just... I can't believe it."

A breath blew past my lips. "What's wrong with me?"

"Um... Please evaluate that."

"What did he do to me?"

"He bruised a few of your ribs, and gave you a concussion. Luckily you made it out without being seriously injured."Jake swallowed harshly. "I would rather you be bruised than cut open."

I raked a hand through my hair, cringing when it made contact with the bandage on the back of my head. I took Jacob's hand into my own and squeezed .

"Bella?" I asked quietly. Jacob rolled his shoulders.

"I haven't heard anything since that night." A look passed over his face. "I attacked Sam that night. I saw him hit you, and I completely lost it. It was as if I were blind. Blindly hitting him, biting him. I don't know."

I stroked my thumb over his knuckles. "It's okay, Jacob. You were just protecting me." I moved my hand so that I was cupping his cheek. I stroked my thumb over it. "You were doing your job as my protector."

Jacob smiled at me and leaned in. Our lips met halfway in a soft, slow kiss. HIs lips were so warm, that I couldn't help but sigh. He caught my bottom lip between his teeth and gently tugged. The monitor next to me began beeping uncontrollably. Jacob and I broke apart and looked at the heart monitor. I pressed my hands against my face as Jacob began to laugh.

"I like that." He said, leaning closer. He brushed his lips along my neck, causing the heart monitor to spike once more.

"You like it for the expense of my embarrassment."

Jacob pulled away, and spoke softly, "It lets me know that your heart beats, and it will only beat like that for me."

"Jacob..." I began hesitantly.

"Yes, baby?"

"If Sam had killed me, or brought me close to death, would you just let me die or...?" Would you let the Cullen's change me?

The question hung awkwardly in the air. Jacob pulled his hand out of mine. "How can you even ask me that?"

"It was just a question, Jacob." I said, pulling the blanket closer. "I was simply asking if you would rather me be a vampire or me being dead?"

"It would be as if you were already dead."