Door Ornament

Life's Little Storms 7

~Melody~

"You know, Melody. If Jacob keeps coming around this he is, you'll eventually have to talk to him."

I swallowed the bite of toast. "I thought you were okay with me avoiding him since the bedroom incident."

"At first I was, but Mel, the guy practically lives on our front porch. If I wanted a door ornament I would buy one from the sweet lady down the street. Maybe you should cut him some slack."

"He left me to walk home from school! He ditched me to spend the day with a girl who has a boyfriend then he comes over and tells me that they kissed? No thanks."

Max sighed. "If you just talk to him, maybe you can sort this out. I know I chased him out of the house by throwing keys at him, but I've known Jacob since I moved here. He hit a rough patch with this girl because she has a boyfriend who she loves very much. Be that girl that shows him that you're here."

"He doesn't deserve that." I tossed my napkin in the trash then looked at the counter.

"Where are my keys?"

"I put them in your car for you."

"Why?"

"It seemed more convenient for you."

I shook my head and muttered,"You're so weird."

Like Max had said, my keys were resting in my seat. I opened the door and grabbed them. I screamed in surprise at Jacob sitting in my passenger seat. "Jesus!"

"No, but I have heard that the resemblance is uncanny."

"Not funny. How did you get in my car?"

"Your uncle gave me the keys earlier. He also gave me permission to skip school with you."

"Speaking of school, why don't you go?"

"I'm on sabbatical."

"I don't need your help anymore. I know what those freaks are." I leaned back against my seat and closed my eyes. "I'm going to be late."

"Well that's okay because you're not going."

"Then where are we going?"

Jacob refused to answer, but instead he forced us to switch places. He pulled out of the driveway and began driving away from the direction of Forks. I messed around with the radio until settling on a rock station.

"Is there something you want to tell me, Mel?"

My fingers played with the hem of my dress. "The other day when you left me to walk home alone, I was walking along the main road. I saw something blonde running through the forest before there was screaming. It was Anna. It was like the night she died all over again. I was running through the forest until I made it to a clearing. There was nothing there and the screaming had stopped. Nothing, no one, was there when I walked back either. It was so weird."

"You have a bad habit of running into woods. That needs to stop."

"I'm serious, Jacob."

"I am too, Melody. I told you, these things-"

"Vampires." Jacob looked at me with a surprised face.

"Yeah, vampires. They're everywhere."

"Edward and his sister are vampires."

Jacob gripped my steering wheel. "All of the Cullen's are leaches, Melody. I don't trust them, but Bella does so that has to mean something."

An ugly feeling clouded my chest. "Of course you would say that. Everyone in this town is so obsessed with Bella. What is so great about Bella?"