Wake Up

Life's Little Storms Ch. 16

~ Jacob~

I quietly closed the door to the guest bedroom, and shed my t-shirt. Melody's small form was laying in the middle of the bed. I couldn't help but smile as I stepped closer to the bed. Her face was wiped clear of the angst and fear that had somehow made itself comfortable on her face over the past few weeks.

Slowly, I slid into the bed beside her. Her breathing hitched and a groan moved past her lips. Melody squinted her eyes at me. "Jacob?"

I hushed her. "Sh, baby. It's me."

She hummed and rolled into me. "You're here."

"Yes, ma'am, I am." I pressed a small kiss to the top of her head.

"Any news?"

"Nothing besides the usual."

A line formed between her eyebrows. "I can't remember if that is good or bad."

I smoothed it out with my thumb. "Me neither."

I shifted so that I was situated with her tucked into my side. I felt the slight pressure of Melody's lips on my neck. The three words that I've only said to a select group of people danced on my lips.

"I love..." I cleared my throat. You."I love it when you do that."

A light giggle left Melody's lips before she pressed another kiss to my neck. She snuggled closer to my body.

"I'll keep that in mind, handsome."

I didn't reply. Instead, I let Melody's breathing even back out before I let my own eyes drift close.

,*.

Blood. I was surrounded by puddles of blood. All around me there were bodies scattered around. I recognized faces of my friends and the Cullen's on the ground. A chill ran through my body as I began sprinting around in the snow. Melody. That is who I wanted to see.

The longer I ran, the longer the path to the end of the clearing seemed to be. The path in front of me began to narrow towards the end. My footsteps slowed when a scream pitched out from somewhere in the woods. I had heard this scream before, but I couldn't quite place it. Bella? Leah?

I picked up my pace until the trees around me became a blur of brown and tree line broke off, and I burst through them as though I were on fire. And in someway, I guess I was. What was before me, was shocking.

A line of people in black cloaks stood in the center of the field. My eyes were trained on the gap where a girl stood. Her dark curls were elegantly pinned to the side with white roses thread among them. She had on a black ball gown. It was tight around her delicate torso, but flowed out once it reached her hips. Dangling from her hand, was a single black rose. I could smell the fresh blood from where one of the thorns had pricked her skin. Even with the dark aura around her, she seemed to shine like a goddess. Her beauty put me in a daze that was broken the moment a black wolf walked behind her.

The goddess' voice cracked when she spoke, "Jacob."

My body froze as the earth shattered around me. Melody was the woman standing before me. A tremor went through me, but it was almost as if the wolf inside of me refused to come out. My body refused to shift. A surge of panic went through me.

"Jacob, please." Her voice became more frantic as the wolf got closer. "Jacob, please!"

It was directly behind her now. I tried to move, but my feet were frozen to the ground below me. Melody's cries turned into frantic screams.