Happiness

Little Storms Ch. 20

~Jacob~

A couple of hours later, Melody was firmly planted on my bed with her laptop sitting on her stomach. She was typing up emails to different lawyers, her father, and her uncle. I don't know why her uncle felt the need to be apart of the email party, but he kept calling her until she agreed to keep him updated.

I gently curled a lock of hair around my finger, "Find anything yet, baby?"

Melody swatted at my hand, "No, and I won't if you keep distracting me like that."

I smiled at her as I rested my head beside hers. I knew the words were meant to sound snappy, but she didn't have any bite behind them. My nose skimmed a line from her jaw to her temple where I pressed a simple kiss. Melody tilted her head back and pressed her lips to mine.

She abruptly pulled away, "Now leave me be, sir."

I shook my head with a laugh, but I let her work in silence. Until finally she perked up at whatever she was reading. I peered over her shoulder in attempt to read, but I couldn't tell what she was reading.

"What'd you find?"

"Emancipation." Melody slapped a hand to her forehead. "How can I be so stupid?"

"Well if you're feeling stupid then I'm feeling pretty brainless over here. What is emancipation?"

"I can declare independence from my parents. Especially now that I'm eighteen."

She stood up from the bed, "If I can prove that I am able to live on my own in La Push, the judge will have to let sign the agreement!"

We both cheered as I wrapped my arms around her waist and spun her around. We kissed multiple times, but it was like someone scratched a record in my head.

"Wait, wait, wait, baby." Melody blinked up at me. "We need a plan B."

Melody's lips puffed out into a pout, "You're right."

I sat on the bed and pulled Melody into my lap. She leaned into my chest then pulled the laptop onto her lap. Together we read ways to prove that you need to be emancipated. Melody pointed at the screen, "See? Max isn't my parent or guardian, so I could continue working at the cafe and live with Max until I graduate."

"That's true." I murmured, but I was looking at a specific bullet point. I bit my lip before continuing my thought, "Or we could get married."

Melody tilted her head back and laughed. "Oh, please, Jacob."

"Well, why not?" I asked, a frown falling on my face. "Bella and Edward did it."

"Yes, but their situation is a little bit different from ours."

"Exactly! They have forever whereas we only have this lifetime." I picked her up and turned her around to face me. "I already know that I want to spend the rest of my life with you. Don't you feel the same way?"

Melody cupped the side of my face, "Of course I do, Jake! I want that more than anything, but I have so much to do before I even think about getting married."

"Like what?"

"Like graduate, go to college, get a job." She dropped a hand into her lap, "It isn't that I don't want to marry you, but I don't want to jump into anything without thinking."

I smirked at her, "Does that mean when I do ask you to marry me, you will say yes?"

Melody kissed me briefly. "Consider this my premature yes. Yes, I will marry you, Jacob."