Friends

Life's Little Storms

~Melody~

Sleeping that night was rough for me. I had constant flashes of Anna's dead body in Jacob's jaw. Her once again lifeless eyes began to haunt me like they had been months before. I woke up with my hair clinging to the sweat on my neck. My chest continued to heave as I stared around my room. Something moved in the right corner of my room, and I snapped my neck to see what it was.

"Do you have nightmares often, Lody?" Anna's teasing voice caught me off guard. The only person who has ever appeared in my bedroom randomly was Jacob.

"Anna?"

"The one and only."

I sat up, "What are you doing here?"

"I've been around you most of the time, Melody." She moved to the edge of my bed. The cold of her undead body seeped through my blankets. "I've watched over you once you left."

I thought about my time in South Carolina. There had been no new of deaths. Anywhere in the US in fact. Not since Victoria and her army of newborns tore through Washington. I leaned forward and looked at Anna's face.

"Your eyes are golden."

"Thank you, Captain Obvious." Anna rolled her eyes.

My eye brows scrunched together. "Why? How?"

"I watched those people you hang out with. I followed them while they hunted to adapt to their ways."

"Why?"

"You're my best friend, Melody. If that guy can marry a human, then I want to be able to continue our friendship."

"You bit me, Anna."

"I had to, Melody. I did it for us. We would be best friends for the rest of eternity. I know it was selfish, but all those times I wanted to talk to you I couldn't because I was supposed to be dead. I was alive and the only person I wanted to be by my side was suffering because she thought I had bit the dust."

I thought about Anna compared to Jacob. Everything Anna had done, it was out of love for me. She wanted me to be by her side. Everything Jacob had done, it was out of love for Bella. Anna was someone who had been through everything with me.

I thought about when my mom told my dad that she wanted a divorce. I had immediately texted Anna that my parents were fighting. Of course it was late at night, and neither of us were old enough to drive yet. It was a few minutes after I sent the text that I received a call. Anna called me and talked nonstop in order to keep me distracted from my parents.

But Jacob... When I was attacked by Victoria, he took me and kept me in the safety of his room. He had spent all day assuring me that the crazy red head wasn't going to get me because he was protecting me. He made me feel alive. I sighed.

"I forgive you, Anna."

She grinned before grabbing me in a tight hug. When I gasped for air, she pulled away with a sheepish grin.

"Sorry, I forget you're still so tiny." Her lips turned up into a smirk as she spoke in a voice mocking Dracula's, "My precious, little human. I must be careful with you."

I collapsed against my pillows with a laugh. It was still Anna. Being changed into a monster hadn't actually changed her. On the outside she was hard and cold, but on the inside she was still the teenage girl I had known. She laid on the pillow next to me. I looked at her then the ceiling. We sat in minutes of silence. The only sounds that could be heard were my breathing and the soft patter of rain on the window.