Girlfriend

Life's Little Storms:

~Melody~

"Riley Biers was reported missing after leaving late one night..." Uncle Max turned off the tv before the woman could continue on with her story. I looked up from my Lucky Charms with a curious glance at my uncle.

"Why'd you shut that off?"

Max placed his coffee cup on the table before sitting down. He gazed at me for a few seconds. "I put somethings on your key ring. It's just a precaution."

I looked where my keys rested on the counter. A little bottle was attached to the ring.

"Pepper spray?" I asked, amused. "Why?"

Max didn't respond. He just watched me; he didn't have to say anything because I knew what he was thinking. I was a young girl, taller than most, but still very small. He doesn't want to hear my name come up on the news one day. I placed my bowl in the sink then grabbed my keys. I loved the familiar jingle they made with the little trinkets I had on my lanyard. When my dad texted me saying that my car was being sent to La Push, it made being out here not so bad.

"Don't worry. I'll be careful."

"Have a good first day at school, kid. Don't forget to come by after you get out." I saluted my uncle with a smile then grabbed my two bags, one filled with school supplies and the other one filled with clothes for work.

Unfortunately for me, and my gas money, La Push high school only allowed kids from the Rez to go to school there, so I'm being forced to drive through Forks to get to their high school. It was almost thirty minutes, but I managed to make it with ten minutes to spare. I pulled my keys from the ignition and sat in my car for a few seconds. Usually Anna would be driving, talking about what kind of parties we would attend to help ring in the new school year. Especially with it being our senior year, she would have gone crazy. For twelve out of my seventeen years, Anna has been there. I swallowed the ice cube that managed to form itself in my throat before exiting my car.

I saw a very tan giant in front of me and smiled. Did Jacob come here too? He had become a regular during my morning shift. He would order a ton of food then distract me from my job by chatting me up. Every time I saw him, butterflies would flutter in my stomach.

I began walking in his direction when a man and girl walked towards him. Jacob looked pissed as they began talking. My heart dropped at the difference between the difference of the Jacob from last week to the Jacob now. It was frightening.

"You. Why haven't you called me back?" The girl snapped, hurt and anger ringing in her voice. Jacob looked at her then at me. He made no acknowledgement that he saw me. In fact, he looked angrier.

"Because I had nothing to say."

"Well, I have tons, so hold on."

Jacob looked at her, passion set deep in his brown orbs. Anger, betrayal, love. The blonde guy next to the girl stared at her. "Bella-"

"Edward, you have to trust me."

"I do trust you." He said somewhat desperately. "It's him I don't trust."

The girl, Bella, didn't say anything as she tossed her leg over Jake's bike and settled behind him. He smiled in triumph at the guy. My heart ached at the sight. I thought I had a chance with him. Maybe he just felt bad because I knew no one on the Rez.

"Lose the grin, Jacob, we're just going for a ride." She said, pulling the helmet over her head.

Jacob's smile widened and my heart ached more. "Hold on tight."