Riding Solo

Life's Little Storms Ch. 14

~Jacob~

This isn't how it happened in the movie but I wanted Melody to be involved whenever he broke off from the pack.

I watched jealously as Emily weaved Melody's hair into a tight french braid at the back of her head. Melody smiled and laughed as Emily talked. Melody's eyes fluttered closed as Emily played with her hair. I knew it felt good to Mel because when we would sit in the garage, I would brush my fingers down her hair and she would slowly stop talking. It was cute.

"Go sit with Jacob, I know he is dying to have you over there." I could hear Emily whisper in Melody's ear. I heard her get up and trot until she was next to me. It had been a little over a fourteen days since Melody has forgiven me. So far, the only fight we had was about what car is better. She came over everyday, and we would sit in the garage talking. It was like we never ran out of things to talk about. Even when it was silent, it was like our silence was talking for us.

She plopped next to me with a giggle. Her hand rested on my knee, and she leaned against my side.

"Why are you sulking?" She giggled once more.

I turned my head and rested my chin on her head. "I'm not sulking."

She hummed. "Mhm, sure."

"I'm not-"

"Is it because Bella hasn't called you?"

My whole body tensed. "Melody..."

"It's okay, I understand."

"It's just nerve wracking. She's somewhere all alone with a vampire. She could be bleeding out, or worse." I swallowed as the lie poured out of my lips. "She could be a vampire right now."

Melody sighed as she pulled away. "It's her life, Jacob. I know you love her, but she chose this for her. You have to let her live her life, whether you like it or not."

I don't love her, not like I love you. "I know."

"So let her be. She'll call you when she can. Her and Edward are off doing honey moon type things."

I cringed and tried to keep my lunch down. I had heard from Bella, something I hadn't figured out to tell Melody. Sam walked onto the beach in wolf form. Melody took that as a sign for her to leave. Emily grabbed Claire's hand and all of them walked further down to where the car was parked. Melody turned back to wave at me. I smiled as I pulled off my shirt. She gave me a playful glare and shake of her head.

Everyone's thoughts began spewing into my head as they heard my own thoughts. Amongst their thoughts, I could hear Sam's growling. He was going on about how this thing wouldn't be able to control its thirst. Everyone jumped at the chance of saying that they were ready.

Bella is human, our protection applies to her.

She's dying anyway! Leah growled at my face. In turn I shoved her over and pounced. Melody's footsteps stopped and her heart skipped a beat. I heard the sand being kick up from underneath her feet.

We have real enemies to fight tonight.

Tonight?

You will fight with us, Jake.

My legs began to bend underneath Sam, but something inside of me fought it. I stood back against the command.

I will not! I am the grandson of Ephraim Black! I am the grandson of a chief! I wasn't born to follow you, or anyone else.