C H A P T E R F I V E

Why so serious, Kitten? 

"I don't care Andrew, she needs to be safe and I'm not around to help you." My Dad's voice comes over my peaceful dreams, I wake up just in time to hear Dad's and Andrew's conversation.

"Well if you were here more, than you wouldn't be saying that to me right now, and maybe she wouldn't be catching rides from bad people." Andrew snarls each word to Dad, I hear Dad's dry laugh as a response to Andrew's true statement.

"And I'm suppose to listen you, Andrew you're just a kid–"

"No Dad I'm 23, I'm an adult, and I'm more of a father figure to my own sister, than you are." Andrew butts in.

Their voices were only heard a little bit down the hall, so even though they're voices we're trying to whisper, I still could hear them really clearly. I sit up in my Queen size bed, letting my white duvet fall off my shoulders.

"Have you got any idea how hard it's been for us, to not have someone to look out for us, to help us around the house and to pay for food in this house?" Andrew continues, "This needs to stop." He adds.

"Don't tell me what to do son." Dad snapped bitterly, by the sounds of it, he was hung over, like most mornings. "I can do whatever I want."

"Yeah, I can too, and all I'm asking is for a little support. That's all–"

There was silence for a while, I rub my tired eyes and swing my legs around to the side of my bed. It was 6:30 in the morning, I shouldn't be up until seven, yet some people in this household just don't know how to keep quiet.

"You–" I hear Dad drawl out. "And– Her.. can most definitely support yourselves. You two are old enough, with that being said, I'm going to get myself a drink." He said harshly, even though the bitter words tugged my heart.

I got used to Dad being like this, he's been like it for a year and half, he's never been a great father figure, but you can't tell him that.

"And for fuck sake take care of your sister. I don't want to hear anymore about her seeing that trouble maker." Dad's voice growled, echoing throughout the hall.

I gulp sharply, his hangover must be really bad today. I thought to myself, I get up from the bed, and stretch my arms up above my head really big. I soon grab my pink dressing gown, throw it on, and walk out of the bedroom to see my brother standing in the middle of the hall. Completely silent and biting his short fingernails.

I walk up to him and place my hand on his shoulder, "You okay?" I ask wearyingly.

He looks at me and nods, "I'm fine." That's all he had to say to make me know, that he wasn't okay.

"Andrew, I'm your sister, your blood, I know when you're not okay." I say, I step in front of him and bend down when he moves his eye contact to the ground. To get them back on me;

"Te, you need to stay away from that guy you were with yesterday, okay?" He blankly spits out.

"I know, and I'm going too. But why are you telling me this?" I give him a confused expression.

Does he know Hoodie guy? Why else would he be telling me to stay away from him?

"He's a bad guy Te, he's not safe to be around." He confesses, giving me eye contact again.