one: boy blue

The sun was setting behind the many trees in the distance. Colors of orange and pink were blended perfectly, making the large and fluffy clouds seem like something out of a storybook. The air was cool and crisp, and the ground was damp from the almost constant rain. I admired the beauty around me, watching the sun take in its last few minutes of being awake. I threw down my cigarette and put it out with my foot, sighing as I heard a door open to the building in front of me.
"Violet, please stop being such a loner. Come out with us after the show!"
"I can't, Lauren. We've been over this. I gotta work."
I stood up from the bench I was sitting on, trying not to become annoyed with the question I heard multiple times a day. Lauren had been my friend since freshman year. We connected over music, but other than that we were very much different from each other. Lauren had a new boyfriend every week, and was quite outgoing. Her bass playing skills were far from average though, and she was very talented. We were a few months into officially having a band, and things weren't going nearly as bad as my anxiety thought they would. We were decent. In fact, people seemed to like us pretty well.
"Oh, c'mon Vi! Just call in sick just this once. When's the last time you've had a good time?! You deserve it, it's just one night! Please!"
Lauren wasn't gonna give up this time. Quite frankly, I was getting tired of being asked the same question everyday, and me agreeing would hopefully get her off my back for awhile. I picked up my white Fender and sighed, slinging the strap over my shoulder.
"Okay. Fine. I'll come, only if you stop bugging me."
I chuckled as I opened the door to go inside.
"Yes! I promise you won't regret it! Now let's go kick some ass, then we can celebrate!"
Lauren squealed, bouncing up and down on her tip toes with excitement, her red, curly hair in a mess from the wind as she followed me into the building.
We played a pretty good show, starting out with a few songs I had wrote before throwing in a cover of "I wanna be your dog" by the Stooges. We did a few more covers of some Sex Pistols songs, and the show ended with quite a bang when a drunk dude decided to jump on stage and try to grab me and Lauren. Our drummer, Jared quickly jumped up from his kit and rushed over to him, pulling him away as the drunk man struggled to stand up.
"You guys alright?" He asked, running his hand across his short, sweaty, black hair.
Lauren and I both nodded, still trying to catch our breath from playing so hard and laughing at the sight was just saw.
"Good news, Jared. Our little Violet has agreed to come out with everyone tonight."
Lauren smirked, nudging me in my shoulder. Jared's face lit up as he looked at me.
"Wow, Violet! Hell freeze over?" He laughed, putting his hand on my shoulder.
I rolled my eyes, still grinning as a few people from the crowd approached us to compliment our music. There was nothing like strangers appreciating the music I had spent hours on writing in my room. The songs that came from a place in me I would never be able to explain to anyone in any other way besides what I had written. It was an amazing feeling to be able to express my feelings the only way I knew how, and for people to like it. I went to the bathroom in the back of the venue, observing my face in the dirty mirror. My wavy, dirty blonde hair hung past my shoulders. My green eyes were bloodshot from lack of sleep, surrounded by thick dark eyelashes and my dark red lips felt as if they would fall off from being chapped. I adjusted my oversized sweater that I was wearing over a pair of ripped tights and tried to prepare my mind for the night to come as I walked back outside.
"I just called your mom, pretending to be my mom and told her that we were studying for the night." Lauren told me as I approached her.
My parents were very strict, and didn't even have the slightest clue that their daughter was fronting a rock band. I was six months away from turning eighteen and it honestly could not come fast enough. If my parents weren't away at church all the time, I would completely lose my mind from them breathing down my neck. I got a job at a pet store just so I could have an excuse to be away from home. My parents were under the impression that their little girl was a nice, godly, straight A making, goody two shoes. My parents didn't know me at all, and I was becoming very tired of pretending to be their perfect little angel just for the sake of not being allowed out of the house for the next six months.
We decided to go to another club to see some bands that were playing there. Thankfully, Lauren didn't forget our fake I.D.s this time so that I could at least feel intoxicated. We ordered a few beers and found some seats towards the middle of the room so that we could see the stage better. A band was already almost done with their set when we got there late, and I overheard someone say they were called Nirvana. I didn't pay much attention to the music as we ordered drinks and got situated, and by the time we sat down, they were on their last song. The blonde singer thanked their crowd, and headed off the stage. I wasn't sure why, but my heart seemed to sink a little at the glimpse I caught of him.
I was about five drinks in when we left the club and we headed to Jared's house for a party. Thank god I was slightly drunk, because being around a crowd of strangers was not my thing. Lauren had already found herself a new man for the week, and was giggling uncontrollably with a shot of vodka in her hand as she pulled him through the crowd over to me.
"Violet, this is Jason Everman. He plays for Nirvana! That band we missed earlier!" Lauren drunkingly giggled.
"Oh. Nice to meet you, Jason" I shook his hand, slightly smiling as I thought of how he would be just another guy to her in a few days time.
"Sorry you missed the show. You'll have to catch another sometime. You guys were rad though, me and the other guys heard about you and wanted to come watch. Nicely done. Kurt seems to especially have a liking for you though." He chuckled.
I took another sip of beer, raising my eyebrow at him in confusion.
"I'm sorry, who?" I asked him, curiously.
"Our frontman! Yeah, he kept saying how awesome you were. Wouldn't shut up about how he wants to see another one of your shows. He's here somewhere, I could introduce you."
Before I could say anything, the guy I had just learned to know as Kurt appeared behind Jason. He had long, blonde hair that was past his shoulders, slightly waving at the ends. His jawline was strongly carved, his lips slightly thin, and he had some stubble on his face with a dimpled chin. His eyes were a brilliant, breath taking blue, a color that would make you look twice. He was wearing a denim jacket on top of what looked like many layers. His jeans were ripped all up and down them, a few patches scattered around, and his converse looked like they had seen better days. I tried not to stare at him, but it was nearly impossible. He was fucking beautiful.
"Krist wanted me to come tell you we need to go to the store. I don't know if he can walk to the car though, he's shit faced again." Kurt chuckled. His voice was so calming, it was slightly monotoned. But, not the kind that was hard to listen to. It had a huskyness about it. It was a voice I wouldn't mind listening to all night.
"Okay. We'll go find him. Oh yeah, Kurt this is Violet! Thought you'd wanna meet her."
Jason winked and nudged Kurt in the arm. I smiled kindly, my heart beginning to accelerate.
"Hi. I thought your show was really great." His face turned red as he began to shuffle his feet, avoiding making eye contact with me as much as possible.
"Thanks, I really appreciate it. I'm bummed we missed yours, when's your next show?"
A lump was forming in my throat as I spoke. I took another giant gulp of my drink, trying to numb the nervousness that I was feeling.
"Uh, this weekend actually."
Kurt was now biting at his lower lip as he still tried to avoid too much eye contact.
"Sweet. Well, I'll definitely try to make it." I smiled, trying to figure out if I wanted him to walk away or wanted him sitting right next to me as close as I could have him. A million thoughts and feelings swam through my brain, and I was beginning to feel dizzy.
He began to walk back through the crowd, when Jason grabbed his arm to stop him.
"Just take my car to the store and leave Krist here. I'll stay here with Lauren. Violet, you'll go with Kurt won't you? It's just down the road."
Jason tossed Kurt a set of keys. Kurt looked a bit freaked out, and I myself felt as if I were going to pass out.
"Uh, sure. I can go with him." I mumbled, my hands becoming more clammy by the second. Without another word, I followed Kurt through the crowd and out the door. My mind spun as I tried to process what was happening. We got into the car, slightly shivering in the cold night. He turned on the radio and smiled, slowly backing out of the driveway filled with cars.
"So, uh. You like the Pixies?" He lit up a cigarette, focusing on the road in front of us.
I smiled, my heart stopping. Kurt's question had somehow managed to melt away the amount of nervousness I had felt a few seconds ago.
"Yeah, I fucking love the Pixies."
He glanced over at me with a smile on his face. I was suddenly very glad I had agreed to come out for the once. In that moment, I honestly wouldn't have minded to drive around with Kurt all night.