eight: humiliation

My hands were on the verge of trembling as I sat on the couch a few inches away from Kurt. We didn't dare touch one another in any way , in fear of what my parents would do. I wanted very badly to just grab Kurt by the hand and run for escape out the front door. But, I knew that wouldn't be a very good idea.
"So, Kurt is it? How long have you been seeing our daughter?" My father asked, his arms crossed as if he were a police officer awaiting to arrest Kurt.
Kurt looked at me as if wondering if it would be okay to tell them. I slightly smiled at him painfully, wishing so badly I could at least hold his hand.
"Just a couple of weeks, sir." There was nervousness in Kurt's voice as he spoke, his leg slightly shaking.
My father glared at the both of us as he processed the thought for a moment.
"Violet, you like this boy?"
"Yes. I love him, dad." I wasn't going to lie of my love for Kurt to anyone. Including my parents. My mother looked Kurt up and down as if he were a filthy stray dog.
"Kurt, and you would marry Violet one day?" My dad asked. Causing me to blush a bright shade of red.
"With all due respect, I would marry your daughter right now if she'd have me." Kurt's reply made my heart stop. He was being so polite, despite how rude my parents were being. It was obvious they were angry that he was saying all of the right things.
"Violet, you can't possibly love him." My mother gasped, rudely. I couldn't hold back the anger anymore. Kurt didn't deserve this and I was ashamed of my parents.
"ACTUALLY, I DO!!! But you wouldn't know what love is!! When's the last time you and dad actually kissed each other and meant it?! When's the last time you told me you loved me and meant it?!" I yelled, my fists clenched in anger. My parents stood there, wide eyed, shocked and furious. My mother slapped me across the face forcefully and I fell back onto the couch in shock. Kurt was obviously pissed as he sat there with his jaw clenched, trying to not let whatever words he wanted to say escape his mouth. His face was turning redder by the minute. He looked at me, taking a deep breath.
"Violet are you okay?" His eyes filled with tears.
"I'm fine, Kurt." I told him, glaring at my parents who were now in the corner of the room whispering amongst themselves.
"Are you okay? I'm so fucking sorry. Don't listen to them, Kurt. I'm so sorry." I told him, starting to cry.
"Violet don't worry about me. It's you I'm worried about. When she hit you like that I almost lost it." He carefully reached for my hand and grabbed it, rubbing it with his thumb until my parents were making their way over to us again.
"Alright. Kurt, if you'd like to see our daughter then be here at six tomorrow for dinner. We'll decide then if you can continue to see each other." My father huffed, his arms still crossed.
"I'll be here, sir." Kurt nervously shuffled his feet as he stood up. My parents looked a bit shocked by him agreeing with them and being so kind. It's almost as if they didn't want him to be, just so they could give me a real reason to not be able to see him anymore. I followed Kurt out to his car not long after, my throat filled with what I was almost positive to be all of the butterflies that had been trapped in my stomach. Talking to Kurt was effortless, and for the first time, it almost felt impossible.
'What if he just leaves me because of this? Of course, I wouldn't blame him.' I thought to myself, palms sweating profusely.
"So, I guess I'll be here at six tomorrow huh?" He sighed.
"You mean you're actually gonna come?" I looked up from the ground in shock, my eyes directly on Kurt.
"Violet, I'm pretty sure I have a very slight chance of being able to keep you anyway. But whatever I can do to increase that chance, I'm going to fucking do it." He placed his hand on my face, staring me deep in my eyes.
"Kurt, you won't lose me. I don't fucking care what my parents say. I'm so sorry they talked to you the way they did. Ignore them."
"Ignore them? I don't give a damn what they say to me or what they call me. But ignoring your own mother back handing you across the face is a bit hard for me. Violet, it left a mark. You have a fucking bruise forming under your eye. Don't even tell me that it's okay because its not. I'm worried about you. Not me."
Kurt's eyes began to fill with tears, and I wasn't sure what to say. We sat silently in his car until the sun set behind the trees.
"Well, I guess I better get inside before they flip out again. I'll see you tomorrow?" I bit my lip nervously, wishing more than anything I could just drive away with him.
"I'll be here. Violet, promise me if either one of your parents lay a hand on you like that again you will tell me. I don't like you being there, Violet. Not now. I want you to call me if anything else like that happens and I will come get you immediately. Do you hear me?" I had never heard Kurt sound so serious and worried. He grabbed my hand once more, squeezing it tightly as his blue eyes penetrated straight through me.
"I promise, Kurt." My voice shook a little from fear. Fear of the unknown. Fear of somehow losing Kurt because my parents were insane. We kissed each other deeply and assuringly, telling each other in the kiss that everything would be alright.
I knew deep down that Kurt wouldn't leave me just because of this. But, I couldn't help but cry into my pillow that night. I had lost who I thought was my best friend, my band, and now felt like I was going to lose the love of my life and only reason to keep going. I couldn't believe my parents. It sickened me to remember how they looked at Kurt as if he were filthy dog that was dirtying their furniture. My face stung as my tears hit it, causing my mind to replay my mother hitting me. I wanted to get out so bad that it ached my bones. I wanted to escape through the window and go to Kurt. But, I knew I would only be digging myself an even deeper hole if I got caught. So, I cried myself to sleep instead, feeling alone, isolated and worried.