thirty three: warm welcomings

One week later

Kurt and I had made it to New York, and my aunt had basically fallen in love with him over the few short days we had spent there so far. She wouldn't stop gushing over how perfect we were for each other, and gladly welcomed him with open arms, unlike my mother. When my aunt learned of the things that happened during my absence, she was fuming.

"So you're telling me, he hit you like that and your mother just allowed it?!" She asked, standing up from her chair in anger.

Kurt was sitting right next to me, his jaw clenching and gaze focused as he squeezed my hand, reliving the moment he found me helpless.

"Well..honestly..I think he hits her too. I don't think she's safe there. I'm actually sort of worried. She seems a bit crazy right now." I sighed.

My aunt's eyes were suddenly lit up with more than just anger, there was now fear.

"Violet, sweetie. I'm going to have to go talk some sense into her. Over the phone won't fix it. Not this time. If anyone truly knows your mother, its me. I won't be gone too long. A few days. I can trust you can't I?" She smiled slightly.

"Of course. You don't have to worry, not like I could throw a party, kind of have to have friends to do that sort of thing." I smirked.

She rolled her eyes, a smile still on her face.

"Violet..oh how I've missed your spunk over the years. Kurt, you'll take care of my baby won't you?" She winked.

"After the other night..she'll be lucky if I let her out of my sight, truthfully." Kurt smiled a bit and pinched my face slightly.

My aunt gave him another smile that spoke "I'm glad she has you", and it was clear to see that she was seeing who Kurt really was. Finally, there was someone in my life who didn't want to rip him away from me, and I couldn't have felt more relieved.

"I want you two to have lots of cute babies, but not yet. If you're gonna do any funny business, make sure you're safe."

"Oh god.." I coughed, trying not to laugh as I watched Kurt's face turn a shade of light red.

"Sorry, Vi. You know I gotta embarrass you a little." She walked over to me and kissed my forehead before hugging Kurt.

"Thanks for being who you are, Kurt. Its hard to find someone as kind as you these days, really. I couldn't think of a more perfect person for my little Violet. You two are beautiful."

I watched Kurt's eyes light up as she said this, and I couldn't help but smile.
I was so grateful for my aunt, she always spoke the truth, and was always so full of love.
She hurriedly ran around the house, packing her things in a frenzy, and was soon out the door.

"Your aunt is cool as shit, Vi. I like her. She's kind." Kurt smiled.

"Yeah, she is." I slid myself into his lap and kissed his face.

Nirvana had a show in New York that night, ironically. Krist and Dave, the new drummer were going to be arriving in a matter of hours.

"I can't wait for you to actually meet Dave, Vi. I'm really excited about the band right now. Its finally sounding the way I want it to. Becoming closer anyway."
Kurt beamed, and I felt so damn proud of him.

Kurt and I were sitting up in my bedroom as he played through a few songs, preparing himself for the hours to come.
"Hey Violet, you still haven't showed me those new songs." He grinned, sitting his guitar down for the moment.

My heart hurt a bit as I thought about it. It was such a raw spot. Playing all the songs I wrote in the darkness of my heartache to the very person who broke it..seemed scary to me. I hadn't felt scared to play in front of Kurt since the first time I played for him.