Nine: Like Romeo and Juliet

I was filled with mixed emotions the next day, but mostly filled with an intense amount of nervousness

  I was filled with mixed emotions the next day, but mostly filled with an intense amount of nervousness. All I wanted was to see Kurt, but I didn't want to see him being interrogated by my parents, which I knew was bound to happen. The doorbell rang right on time, and I hurried down the stairs, tripping over my own feet and determined to beat my parents to the door. I quickly opened it, my jaw almost hitting the floor when I saw Kurt standing there looking anything but like himself.
"Hi." He smirked, handing me a bundle of roses.
"Kurt, you look, uh. Great. But what happened to Kurt?" I chuckled.
He shrugged his shoulders, blushing nervously as I let him inside.
"I wanted to at least have some sort of chance at making your parents not hate me, Violet."
His messy, long blonde hair was all pulled away from his face. His normally disheveled clothes were replaced with a suit and I couldn't ignore how good he really looked. It just didn't look like the Kurt I knew to love.
"Kurt, honestly, if they hate you, I hate them." I kissed his cheek, causing a slight smirk to appear on his face.
"Good evening, Kurt" My parents were suddenly standing across from us and all I wanted to do was grab Kurt's hand and make a run for it. I looked at him with a sigh, awaiting whatever torture was ahead of us.
Dinner was filled with the idea of "let's ask Kurt as many uncomfortable questions as we can", and at that point, I was almost shaking with anger.
"So, you just dropped out of high school? No college? What do you plan on doing with your future?" My mom asked yet another horrible question, all while looking at Kurt as if he had some sort of incurable disease.
"Well, I plan on doing music. That's what I like to do. I find the most passion in that. I just didn't see a point of just wasting more time doing.."
"A good education is not a waste of time, Mr. Cobain" My mother, yet again..had cut him off before he could say anything else. I had been squeezing Kurt's hand the entire time underneath the table without my parents knowing, and I was about positive both of our hands were about to fall off. I couldn't handle the anger boiling inside of me anymore, and I finally exploded.
"Ya know what, mom?! Maybe Kurt could get a complete answer in if you wouldn't interrupt everything he's said so far!!" I yelled, my face turning a darker shade of pink by the second. My mother seemed shocked, and almost embarrassed. She looked at the both of us as if she knew I was right.
"Go on, Kurt. What were you saying?" She crossed her arms, gazing at him as she cleared her throat.
"Well, what I was saying was..was uh. I don't think time should be wasted doing things you hate. I think you should do whatever you love to do and be good at it. Because if you hate what you do then is there really any point at all?" Kurt's grip on my hand was less tense, and he began to rub the top of it with his thumb, slightly smirking at me as we glanced at each other. I didn't know what else my parents were going to say, or what the outcome would be when dinner was finally over. But in that moment, I realized that if I had Kurt by my side, I could accomplish almost anything.
Once my parents had decided we both had endured enough torture, they called me into the kitchen to speak to them alone.
"Violet, your mother and I have talked about this. And we've pretty much determined that you don't need to see this boy anymore." My father's words made me want to scream. They weren't being fair. They weren't being fair at all.
"Give me one good reason. You can't even give me one real reason why, can you? You just don't like him because he doesn't fit YOUR standards. Not mine. It doesn't matter what I want. It never has, and it never will." My eyes filled with tears and my vision was blurred as my heart pounded out of my chest.
"You can go have some time to tell him bye, Violet. After that, no more." My mother said as she put more dishes in the sink. I couldn't breathe. I couldn't move. I forgot how to form words. All I wanted was Kurt. I slowly backed away with a tear streaked face and went to find him. He was sitting on the couch, twiddling his fingers nervously as I walked into the room. His face dropped as if he knew exactly why I was crying.
"They don't want you to see me anymore, do they?" He asked, standing up.
"Can we go to your car?" I wiped my face, trying not to completely collapse again.
We sat in Kurt's car in silence for a few minutes as I tried to search for the right words to say.
"You don't have to tell me, it's sorta obvious, Vi." Kurt reached out and placed a lock of hair behind my ear. I sighed and stared at my shoes, not able to bear looking at his angelic face.
"Violet, we don't have to listen to them. You can choose. Sure, it may be a little harder to sneak around. But they can't separate us completely. I'll still see you. It'll be alright." His voice was so soothing as he took my hand, and with those words I began to feel better.
Little did my parents know that telling Kurt "bye" meant us making out in his car for as long as we could without passing out. I slid myself down onto his lap, laying my head across his legs as I smiled up at him.
"So does this mean we're like Romeo and Juliet now since our love is so forbidden?" I asked him, taking a hit from a joint he had in his car. He chuckled, taking it from my lips and placing it against his own.
"Okay, Juliet. What would you say if Romeo may have found you a bass player?" He smirked, handing me the joint. My eyes grew wide with excitement as I quickly sat up in shock.
"What?! Really?!" I squealed, hoping he wasn't joking. He smiled and nodded his head, assuring me that I really did hear him right. I threw my arms around his neck, kissing his face over and over as excitement flooded through me. I needed my band back.
"Will you make up some reason to leave the house tomorrow?" He asked, pulling me closer to him.
"You know I can't stay away from you for longer than like.. a day, right?" I chuckled.
"Then, in that case, be ready at seven." He smiled, winking at me. God, he didn't have to do much to make me melt straight into a puddle. I wanted to just wrap myself up in him and stay there forever. It didn't matter what my parents said, they weren't going to take Kurt away from me. I refused to let them.