three: I like you

My parents ended up believing my cover story, yet they still grounded me for being "irresponsible and not calling them

My parents ended up believing my cover story, yet they still grounded me for being "irresponsible and not calling them." I hadn't seen Kurt anymore since that day. But, the weekend was approaching and grounded or not, I told myself I would be at his show even if it were the last thing I did.
I was laying on my bed, strumming my guitar when my mom came into my room with the phone in her hand.
"It's Lauren, she says she needs to ask you a question about a science test you both have tomorrow. Bring the phone back down when you're done." She left the room, leaving me alone to talk.
"Don't tell me you're seriously still grounded for something as small as that happening." Lauren said from the other end of the phone.
"Yup. Indeed I am. You're really shocked about this? You know my parents, Laur. They refuse to let anything go. I'm their good little girl, remember?" I chuckled, my eyes lingering to Kurt's jacket that was laying across the room. I sighed.
"Hey, uh. Lauren? You haven't by any chance seen Kurt around have you?" I hesitated, nervously picking at the fuzz on my sweater.
"Yeah, he's here actually. I'm at Jason's place. He's different, Violet. I think there's some potential here." She said excitedly. I bit my lip, trying not to laugh at her excitement of not dumping yet another guy within the first week of meeting him.
"That's great, Lauren. You said Kurt's there?" My heart was already starting to beat faster.
"Yeah, that's why I called actually. He wanted me to call you so that he could talk to you." I could suddenly hear voices in the background. My heart was in my stomach. 'He really wants to talk to me?' I thought to myself, grinning.
Suddenly there was a commotion over the phone.
"Violet, when the hell are you gonna be able to leave your house? You better get over here soon because Kurt is going to build a fucking shrine to you if he doesn't see you. It's 'Violet this, Violet that.' I'm telling you, he's lovesick bad." Krist was now on the other end, and soon accompanied by another guy's voice.
"Krist, cut it the fuck out man. Give me the phone." It was Kurt.
"Hey, Violet? It's Kurt." His voice was just as perfect as I had remembered.
"Hey." I was grinning from ear to ear, a million butterflies in my stomach.
"I just wanted to check up on you. I heard you're grounded, that really sucks. I was really hoping you'd be able to make it this weekend." Disappointment was in his voice, and I could tell that he really wanted me to come.
"Oh, I'll still be there. Thankfully my parents are really naive. I'll figure out some bullshit excuse to be able to leave the house." I chuckled, standing up to pace my floor.
"Really? That's fucking great. Sweet." He sounded very happy, and I smiled in relief.
"So, I'll see you in two days then?" The smile in his voice was very apparent.
"Yes. I'll see you very soon. Unless you need your jacket back sooner than that. I'm sure we could arrange something." I told him, giggling as I looked out my window at the trees that were blowing in the wind.
"Well, I don't really need it back but can I just say I do so I can see you sooner?" His voice was so fucking perfect, I was about positive my heart was on the floor with his words.
"Kurt, I would so say yes but it's gonna be all I can do to figure out a lie for this weekend. I'm not sure my parents would let me leave twice." I told him, suddenly wishing my parents would just fucking realize I'm almost eighteen and get over it.
"No, you're right, Violet. I don't wanna get you into anymore trouble before then, it's okay."
I smiled into the phone, wishing we could just talk until the next two days passed. I suddenly heard the sound of footsteps coming up the stairs leading to my room.
"Shit. Kurt, my mom is coming to take the phone back. I'll talk to you later, okay?" I frantically told him, tossing his jacket that I was now holding into the corner of my room with a blanket over top of it.
"Oh, okay. Have a good night, Violet. Don't have too much fun being grounded." I could tell he was smiling, making it that much harder for me to hang up.
"Bye, Kurt. I'll see you soon." And with that, I quickly hung up the phone just in time for my mom to walk in.
"So, are you girls ready for your test tomorrow?" She asked, taking the phone from my hand.
"Yeah, I'm sure I'll make an A." I told her, trying not to laugh.
"That's my good girl. Don't stay up too late. Good night." She left the room with the phone in her hand. I sighed and went back over to the corner of my room to grab Kurt's jacket. I slid it on over the oversized t shirt I was wearing as a night gown, and sat back down onto my bed, grabbing my guitar. It still smelled of him, and honestly all I wanted was to be near him. To trace the outline of his perfectly carved face, to run my fingers through his beautifully messy, long hair, to stare into those breath taking eyes, his rough guitar playing hands caressing my waist as we kissed. I stopped my thoughts there, wondering what the hell has gotten into me. I realized then that I had fallen head over hills for Kurt, and the weekend could not come soon enough.
The two days seemed like they lasted a week. I took advantage of the time by trying to write some new music. I had come up with the plan to tell my parents that I was going on a school trip, and just like I thought they would, they believed every bit of it. Thankfully, they were also leaving to go on a church retreat. If I wouldn't have lied, they probably would have tried to take me with them. I shuddered at the thought. I told them that Lauren's parents would be picking me up later, and that I wouldn't need a ride to the school. So, they went ahead and left. With the house to myself and the thought of seeing Kurt in only a few hours time, I was about positive nothing could have wiped the grin off of my face.
"Shit! What am I gonna wear?" I panicked as I began going through my closet. I wanted to make Kurt's jaw hit the floor. I wanted to drive him crazy.
A few hours later, I was standing in front of my mirror wearing a dusty rose colored, velvet, spaghetti strapped mini dress over a pair of fishnet tights and doc marten boots. I curled pieces of my hair and tossed it around to make it look extra messy and wavy. I went for a bit of a smokey eye with my makeup, and was quite satisfied with my look. I sighed nervously and checked the time. They would be arriving any minute. I grabbed Kurt's jacket and slung it over my arm, making sure I had everything together. The doorbell rang, and my heart was already on the ground. I quickly ran down the stairs, smiling the entire way to the door. I took a deep breath and opened it. Kurt was standing on the other side wearing a gray flannel, with many layers of shirts underneath. He was wearing the same jeans from the night we met, and his converse that had been duck taped together on his left foot. I smiled at him. 'How is it possible that he got even more gorgeous since the last time I saw him?' I thought to myself, inviting him in.
He was looking at me with big eyes and a peculiar look on his face.
"Wow, Violet. You look, uh. You look beautiful." He mumbled, shyly.
"Thanks, Kurt. So do you." I told him, causing him to chuckle and shake his head in disagreement.
Kurt was just about to say something else when the horn to the van outside honked.
"Hey assholes! You can make out when we get there! C'mon, we got a show to play!" Krist's voice yelled from outside.
Kurt rolled his eyes and I laughed.
"Well, I guess that's our calling. You ready?" He smiled, opening the door for me. I nodded and followed him to the white van that was parked on the side of the road. Lauren was in the front with Jason, and Krist and a girl I had never met were sitting in the middle.
"Violet, this is my girlfriend Shelli. And our drummer Chad is driving separate, so you'll meet him when we get there." Krist said as I followed Kurt into the very back seats.
"Nice to finally meet you, Violet! We've heard loads about you from ole Kurt here." Shelli winked, causing Kurt to blush.
"It's nice to meet you too." I smiled.
The drive to Olympia passed quickly. Kurt mostly stared out the window in thought, glancing at me and smiling every now and then. When we arrived there, they quickly unloaded the van of their equipment before the rain started to pour down. I was very anxious to watch them play. Kurt seemed a bit nervous, but I assured him that he would do great. I wished him good luck, and took my place towards the front of the crowd with Lauren and Shelli.
I didn't think it would be possible to fall even harder for Kurt. But when they finished their first song, I was left in awe. Kurt's voice left chills running up my body from head to toe. Being the shy guy he was, you wouldn't have thought he had the howling screams that he would belt out in him. He jumped around like a maniac on stage, and the amount of passion he had in him was giving me chills. Krist's bass playing was excellent, and there wasn't a bad song during the whole set. During a song I later came to know as "Spank Thru" my heart was left on the floor. Kurt belted out a spine chilling scream full of nothing but passion. I wanted him so badly that I was sure my bones were aching. They finished off the set with Kurt jumping straight into Chad's drum kit, leaving pieces flying to the ground. I stood there in awe, taking in all that I had just seen and heard. I knew in that moment that Nirvana was going to be something special, and that Kurt Cobain had stolen my heart.
"Guess who?" Kurt's voice said from over my shoulder, his hands covering my eyes.
"Could it be the king of rock?" I smiled, still wanting him more than ever.
"What?" He chuckled, removing his hands. I turned around to face him.
"You're obviously the king of rock after what I just witnessed, Kurt." I told him, observing his sweaty face. He looked exhausted, but happy.
"Then you must be the queen after what I saw the other night." He grinned, and I wasn't so sure I could handle much more of him being so adorable.
We all had a few drinks and decided on getting a cheap hotel for the night. I slept with Lauren, and Shelli slept with Krist. Kurt took the small couch and Jason and Chad slept in sleeping bags. Everyone was tipsy, exhausted and out like a light as soon as their head hit the pillows. As tired as I felt, I couldn't bring myself to fall asleep. I layed there staring at the ceiling for what felt like forever. My depression and anxiety seemed to be making a surprise visit, and I could feel myself on the verge of tears. I quietly climbed out of bed, careful not to wake anyone up, and slid out the door onto the balcony. I sank down into a chair as tears flooded out of my eyes. It felt as if bricks were on my chest, and I couldn't shake the uneasy feeling in the pit of my stomach. I sobbed into my arm, just wishing with everything I had that I could somehow feel better and be able to sleep. As soon as I was about to give up, I heard the door slide open. I quickly turned around, startled. It was Kurt.
"Violet? What's wrong? Are you okay?" He sounded very concerned, like he really cared and wasn't just asking that. I didn't know what to say, so I cried harder. He pulled me into a gentle hug, patiently waiting for me to calm down enough to speak.
"I'm sorry. It's just. I mean- this just happens to me sometimes. I'm sorry. I'm stupid." I told him, wiping my eyes and trying to catch my breath, embarrassed that I had made such a mess out of myself.
"No. You are not stupid. I understand, trust me. Never be sorry for your emotions. It's alright. I get it, you aren't alone. Okay? Just try to breathe. I'm so sorry you're feeling this way. And I'm sorry if I startled you. I know you were coming out here to be alone. I just woke up and was gonna come out to smoke, and I heard you crying."
He rubbed gentle circles in the center of my back. It was kind of insane how much he made me feel better. No one had ever helped me that much before. Kurt continued to sit with me as we both smoked. Not much was said, but I was feeling almost completely better.
"Feeling a little better?" He asked me, putting out his cigarette.
"Yeah, thank you Kurt. Really." I smiled.
The sun was beginning to rise in the distance, turning the sky a beautiful bright, shade of orange. There wasn't too many clouds in the sky, but it oddly began to rain. Our balcony was covered, so we weren't getting wet. We sat there in silence, taking in the strange phenomenon that the universe was creating in front of us.
"Violet?" Kurt suddenly said, his voice full of emotion. I looked at him, wondering what he could possibly be getting ready to say. But, he didn't say anything else. He slowly and hesitantly reached out, moving a piece of hair out of my face, and inched closer to me. I was about positive my heart was in my throat, and the closer he got, the faster it pounded. His lips gently reached mine. It felt as if our warm faces were melting together in the cold, damp air. It was truly a perfect kiss. He didn't try to shove his tongue down my throat, it was gentle but full of passion. It was like a scene straight out of a movie. The rain fell down all around us, creating the perfect soundtrack. The sky was glowing, and so was I. Our foreheads rested together for a moment before we pulled away. I had never felt more content in my life, and by the look on Kurt's face, neither had he.
I rested my head on his shoulder, watching the rest of the sunrise and the shower of rain falling around us. As tired as I was, in that moment, sleeping was the last thing I wanted to do.