CHAPTER 3

Swara woke up very early the next day. She settled down with a cup of tea on the steps of the veranda. She usually had her tea here chatting with neighbors. This morning, her mind kept pondering over Laksh and Ragini. Were they happy? The look in Laksh's eyes last night kept worrying her. Should she ask Ragini about her marriage? But Ragini never confided anything in her. They were never close during their growing up years in Baadi. Though Swara had many friends, she had never seen Ragini with anyone other than her dadi. It was only a year ago when they both realised that they were half sisters and plodded together to unite their parents that they really came close.

Swara mulled over the events of the past few months...............

It all started on a rainy evening when Swara Bose was returning back from her music classes.She was waiting at the bus stop. A car drove by fast and splashed muddy water on her dress. She got furious and threw her umbrella at the car. Unfortunately,it hit the rear lights of the car and it broke. The speeding car came to a halt. Three guys and a girl got out of the car and confronted her. The guy who drove the car was Lakshay Maheshwari.

His swagger and attitude incensed her more. There was harsh clash of words between them
'Oh, hello what do you think you were doing?' Laksh walked ahead of his friends like a don master and demanded,

'What do you think I was doing? Obviously not playing with my umbrella...'
Swara retorted back and the onlookers at the bus stop laughed, she also observed that her already bent umbrella split into two pieces from the throw.

Laksh looked at the onlookers and said 'Why don't you guys mind your business and let me deal with this vixen.'

His friends preened at his words and the onlookers just shrugged their shoulders. Some kept watching the tamasha and others turned away irritated.

'You broke my headlights.What do I do? Complain to the police?' Laksh threatened her,
Swara looked at his friends and laughed

'Do you even know where the police station is? And what proof do you have that I was the one who broke it?'

She questioned Laksh, giving a charming smile at the strangers standing nearby.They looked at her admiringly.

Laksh was surprised but annoyed at the same time 'Listen Miss Smarty Pants..'

Swara raised her eyebrows hearing him say Smarty Pants 'Don't act smart with me.You broke my lights and I want compensation.' Laksh added

'What about driving senselessly and splashing muddy water and spoiling my dress? I want compensation for that'

She said, folding both her arms across her front. Laksh gave her a head to toe look
'So do I compensate the whole city for driving on the road during rains? That is a car not bicycle.'
He pointed out to his imported, roofless car and spoke. His coterie of friends laughed again. Swara looked at them and pointed her forefinger at Laksh

'Listen Mister, whoever you are, your spoilt bratty behavior is not going to help.Go,run and complain to your rich daddy.' Swara taunted him.

The mention of his father infuriated Laksh. He came forward wanting to grasp her shoulder but before he could step further, his friends stepped in between them to stop the fight. Meanwhile the bus too came. She glared at the gang and boarded the bus, unaware that Laksh was following the bus in his car. When she got down near Baadi,it was pouring and she did not realize that Laksh and his group of friends had spotted her house. Trouble with capital letter T started from there on for Swara. He and his friends started stalking her everywhere and she finally had to complain to her mother about it. Her mother Shomi was like a ferocious lion if somebody tried to mess with her baby. Shomi confronted Laksh one day and made, both, Swara and Laksh apologise to each other. Swara said sorry for damaging his car. Laksh apologized for driving senselessly and not having the manners to apologise to Swara for the same. Somehow Laksh warmed up to Shomi and then onwards, the equation between Swara and Laksh changed for the better. He became friends with her and they started spending time together. He also began to drop home occasionally and chat with Dida. Swara was unaware that Laksh was developing feelings for her. She was also not aware that, in the meantime, Ragini's marriage was fixed with Laksh.