CHAPTER 19

They had just taken two steps when there was an ear splitting noise. His car exploded. Swara was ahead of him. Sanskar pulled Swara back and pushed her to the ground. He dropped to the ground face down and covered her with his own body. He stayed like that for the blast wave to pass and waited till the debris stopped flying.Then slowly he lifted himself from her and checked Swara for injury. She was shocked.They gazed at each other and he touched her face tentatively as if to assure himself that she was doing fine. He got up and helped her to stand up. The car was in flames. People haltingly gathered around them. Sanskar checked if there was anybody else injured but thankfully there was no causality. Children who were playing earlier had already left the area. Swara looked at her palm. Few glass shards from the car window had pierced her palm and blood was oozing out of it. Sanskar caught hold of her wrist and removed some pieces carefully. He tied his handkerchief around it.

One of the bystanders came closer and asked her if she needed water. Swara shook her head and noticed that she was the only one injured. Fortunately no one else was hurt especially Sanskar. Two men on bike burst into the commotion and dashed towards Sanskar. Sanskar lost his cool and shouted at them,

'You are supposed to be my security cover. Where the hell were you when this happened? Who in this bloody day light and in the midst of this crowded street managed to plant a bomb there?' he pointed out to the car and said.

The men in helmets were contrite and apologetic. They had apparently gone to have their lunch. If Sanskar and Swara had not stopped to buy Rakhis, they might have ended up inside the car. Sanskar shuddered with horror at the revelation. What a narrow escape they had!!!!

A car was rushed in to take them to hospital. Police sirens were heard and officers jumped out of the jeep to enquire. Sanskar called up his personal team and informed them of the explosion. He helped Swara into the car and they swiftly reached the hospital.The doctor took care of her wounds and ensured Sanskar that there were not deep. Sanskar called up her parents to inform and waited with her till they arrived. He had too many things going on in his mind, especially the fact that once again Swara saved him from the attack. If she had not stopped to buy those threads, they would have ended up inside the car.

Swara had different thoughts about the incident. This was the second time that Sanskar was attacked and on both times, she was with him. If she had not taken him to that area, it would have not happened. Oh god, if only she had let Sanskar take her to the place he had planned.They were waiting in the OPD wing of the hospital. She was sitting on the bed with her bandaged palm, waiting for her parents. Sanskar was pacing the room, giving instructions to god knows how many people over the phone. She watched him and she was worried about the attempts on his life. Who were Sanskar's enemies? Why did they want to harm him? She could not sit still. She tried to get down from the high bed when Sanskar noticed her struggles. He helped her to alight from the bed. His arm was still around her when she carefully put her feet down. She looked up at Sanskar's face. His face was close to hers.

'Your mom and dad will be here shortly,' he said. Swara nodded. He still did not let her go. He very gently cupped one side of her face and planted a kiss on her forehead as if promising her silently that he would not let anything happen to her. There was an emotional eye lock between them and then very gently he placed a soft kiss on her lips. Swara trembled and a slow heat was forming in the pit of her stomach. She wanted to lean on his shoulder and stay there forever. But he let her go reluctantly. An unexplained bond was forming between them. There was no name to it yet but their hearts and mind felt entwined for life.

Annapurna was disappointed that Mrinal and Sanskar broke up. Mrinal called her up as soon as she returned from her trip to Hong Kong. She came back alone and confessed about the break up. She seemed very upset. Annapurna was fuming. Well laid out plan of hers was shot to pieces by Sanskar. She was afraid that if Sanskar really married his perfect match (like the Guruji said), then there was no stopping his rise to power. He would find out about Adarsh's secret and he would not let her sons live in peace. She wanted Sanskar out of her sons' lives. Her husband did not care about her wishes. She often felt that he was fonder of Sanskar than his own sons. She feared that he would hand over his business to Sanskar rather than her own sons. There was one more reason to hate Sanskar but she refused to think about it.