CHAPTER 22

'I know Jiji but this time I am not going to back out because the girl I have chosen is perfect for him in every way.... Sharmishta's daughter Swara Bose is the girl I have chosen for my Sanskar.' Sujata announced happily

All the heads at the table shot up and stared at Sujata with varying degrees of surprise, shock and anger. Laksh was jolted out of his boredom. Swara??? He could not digest it. His Swara was not going to marry any arrogant bloke. Adarsh did not know whether to be happy or sad. He knew Swara was Nivedita's sister so he was excited as well as scared. DurgaPrasad had always liked Swara. He admired her genuine and forthright attitude. Annapurna's mind was overworking. If Sujata had got approval from Guruji then the alliance was confirmed unless one of the two refused. Sanskar had not spoken yet. She would wait for his reaction and then take action. She watched Ragini's face who looked stunned like others. Yes, she would use Ragini, if needed, to thwart Sujata's plans. Parineeta did not care who Sanskar married. When her own husband did not care about her why should she bother about his relatives? RamPrasad was happy with his wife's decision. He had always found an honesty in Swara that spoke a lot about her upbringing and culture. But he was worried about Sanskar's reaction. Sanskar had not uttered a single word.

Sanskar was astounded by his mother's announcement. Here,he was trying to avoid Swara and his mother was trying to fix his marriage with her. He felt as if someone had punched him in his stomach. All eyes turned towards him trying to gauge his reaction. He was sitting like a statue. It was Laksh who spoke first
'Chachi, what are you saying? Sanskar is not ready for marriage. Did he not tell you just now?'
Sanskar threw a murderous glare at Laksh.
'Chachi, Swara is a Bengali. How can you think of a marriage between Sanskar and Swara?' This was Parineeta's contribution
'Toh kya hua Parineeta? The girl's attitude and upbringing is more important.' DurgaPrasad reprimanded his daughter in law, 'I am happy with Sujata's proposal. It is up to Swara and Sanskar now. I accept this alliance.' He smiled at Sujata and Ramprasad. If Sujata was thrilled with her brother in law's words Annapurna was fuming at her husband. At that moment, she did not hate anyone more than her husband.

Ragini was sitting as if somebody had pushed her into a well. She was not happy about the proposal because she did not want Swara to be in the same house. She was aware of Laksh's obsession with Swara so she was scared that if Swara joined the family, he would start ignoring Ragini. Another reason was that she adored Sanskar. In fact she was little in love with him.He was that kind of person whom women would love to pamper. And she would be envious of anyone marrying Sanskar. She hoped that Swara would turn down the proposal.
'Does Swara know about this proposal?' Annapurna asked Sujata. Sujata shook her head 'No, I wanted to discuss it first with our family and Sanskar.'
'Chachi, don't you think Ragini's sister Swara deserves a better man than an arrogant and morose Sanskar?' Laksh asked provokingly. Adarsh smirked and Ragini was miffed with her husband for taking so much interest in Swara's marriage proposal.
'Shut the fuck up Laksh.Mind your own damn business.' Sanskar snarled at Laksh. Laksh stood up angrily but RamPrasad interfered
'Sanskar what kind of language are you using in front of the family? Where are your manners?' he scolded his son

Sanskar threw an angry glance at everyone and stood up violently. He scowled at his mother and marched away. Sujata sat down defeated. She had tears in her eyes. Annapurna's eyes lit up with triumph. Laksh and Adarsh walked away. RamPrasad tried to comfort his wife. Ragini was secretly thrilled with Sanskar's reaction.So he was not going to marry Swara.

Swara was shocked and stunned with Nivu didi's revelation. She was aghast that Sanskar was Suraj's brother. Dear god, no wonder he hated her from the beginning.So that is why he wanted to make her life hell. He wanted to avenge his brother's death.His care after the blast, his invite to HK, his lunch date! Were they all a ruse to charm her and then dump her? An excruciating pain seared her heart. It was as if her whole world had crashed down on her.She felt utterly dejected and heartbroken.She did not feel as if one could hurt her more than Sanskar did. She wanted to hide from the world and bury herself in a dark corner. Such was her agony.