CHAPTER 12

Like Swara hoped,the day began normally in the office.While coming to office,she hid her apprehension of finding Sanskar again in the office. But fortunately,he was not in the office. With huge relief, she settled down to do her work on the camp and refugees.

By afternoon, Ashutosh called her to office. He called Viren also.They assembled at his office when Ashutosh dropped the bombshell,

'Viren, you must have heard the news?' 

Viren nodded and said 'I was expecting it because this seems to be his pet project and he wants to know the progress, every step of the way.'

Swara looked from one to the other. What were they talking about? Whose pet project? 

Ashutosh addressed her and said 'Swara,from tomorrow onward till this assignment gets over,you will be going to the main office. Viren,you,Alex,Pawan, Rekha and Vivek.' He mentioned the other reporter Vivek and assistant editor Rekha. For a minute,Swara did not understand what he was saying.Then it hit her.... Main office? Oh god... Is it what I think it is? Has he started his first step in making my life hell?

'What is the matter Swara? Why do you look so worried?' Ashutosh asked
'Nothing Sir....Main office means which branch? Why do we have to shift?' she asked pretending to be ignorant about the whole thing. 

Viren explained to her 'Actually this feature on refugees, migrants and camp was mooted by cabinet Minister. He wanted SM to do a feature so that he gets public support before the announcement for next election. So SM is very keen to make a very effective feature. He wants to be kept in the loop. It is difficult for him to come here regularly or for us to go. So we are shifting to the main office and do our work there till we finish this.'

Swara nodded. She was asked to wind up her things here and shift to the main office along with the team in an hour. When she returned to her table, she looked around the hall.She had already made the spot she was seated as hers by sticking some favourite pictures of hers on the pin board and adding a dash of green with a stem of money plant in a small bottle. Now she had to shift everything. And she would miss Ashutosh though not the gas chamber. At the moment, she thought she did not hate anyone more than Sanskar Maheshwari. Ashutosh came to her desk and wished her the best for the assignment.

She called up Nadira and Karan to inform about the new development,

'Really? Wait till I tell this to Suman,she is going to go green with envy.. Anyway wish you all the best.'

Karan teased her 'So Swara Bose,you are going into the big league uh?'
'I will be there only for this assignment, Karan. Then I will be back with you guys' she replied little sadly.

The office SUV took them to the main office in Salt Lake. SM Group of companies Limited had a state of the art building.The structure had a glass facade with huge car parking area and cafeterias.The interiors had a stimulating and informal atmosphere. Viren and his team were given a large,airy and well lighted room with a huge round table with plug in facilities.There was also a coffee vending machine in the corner with cups and mugs.A microwave occupied another corner.

The lady who directed them to this room said 'I hope everything is to your liking, Mr.Mehta. If you need anything, please let me know.'

'Where is SM?' Viren asked the lady and Swara tensed with anticipation. 

'He is not in town Sir. He left for Singapore this morning.'

Swara heaved a sigh of relief. Thank god he was not there. Now she can work comfortably without expecting him to walk in any time.

'When is he coming back?'

'Not sure but he said two days.' She explained and left them to do their job peacefully

By 8, they wound up for the day. Viren dropped Swara at the nearest bus stop from where she took a bus to one location and from there, another one to Baadi. She decided to bring her Scooty the next day. It would make life easier. She needed to convince her mother about driving it this far.

At dinner table, Annapurna opened the topic of Sanskar's marriage proposal.