CHAPTER 37

'Suraj was poisoned' Swara said from the doorway,

'By whom?' Sanskar asked

'By him... 'Swara gestured towards Sisodia 'Roopali aunty just told me...' She gave the mobile to inspector, telling him that everything was recorded in it as evidence.

Sanskar warned Sisodia 'Now, are you going to spill it out or do we need to resort to other methods?'

The inspector came forward and threatened Sisodia to speak out. Sisodia explained curtly

'The fight, between Adarsh and Suraj, happened unexpectedly. We never expected it. Suraj was already poisoned when Adarsh joined him at the club. Our plans were spoilt by Adarsh's fight with Suraj. When Suraj fell into the water, Adarsh could have got arrested for attempted murder if we had not made it look like suicide. No one came to know that Suraj was poisoned.'

'So you wrote the suicide note?' Sanskar asked him and he nodded

'So that is the reason, he could not swim despite being a swimmer...He was already poisoned....'Sanskar speculated. He asked 'Did Adarsh know about this evil plan of yours?' Sisodia shook his head and replied 'No....'

Ram Prasad asked Sisodia 'Were you the one responsible for stalking Sanskar and attacking him?' When Sisodia did not reply, Sanskar explained 'Yes dad, he was the one. He did not want us to air the documentary.'

'Also, he did not want you to find out about Suraj's death. That is why he fitted cameras in the room...'Swara added

'Adarsh was scared that Sanskar would find out about his hand in Suraj's death so we had to monitor Sanskar....' Sisodia disclosed

The police inspector hand cuffed Sisodia and dragged him away. Suddenly, a thought struck Sanskar and he asked 'Why did you try to kill Ishan?'

'What? We did not do anything to Ishan. When was he attacked?' Sisodia asked with surprise. Swara and Sanskar shared an anxious glance. So there was one more danger lurking around. Sanskar took out his mobile and tried to warn his friend.

Durga Prasad and Annapurna stared at each other like two adversaries. Annapurna watched her brother being taken away with distress and sadness. He had been the only support for her. Durga Prasad pointed out that 'Annapurna should also be arrested. She is the reason behind the entire trauma in my life...'

Ram Prasad and Sanskar were uncertain but Annapurna was shocked. She could not believe that her husband for whom she sacrificed so much happiness would allow her to be arrested...

'Would you really get me arrested? Don't you have any feelings?'She asked him with fear and dread

'What about my feelings Annapurna? Why did you not think about it before harming my son or the woman I loved?' Durga Prasad asked her with sorrow overcoming him at the fate of his son and his beloved. He crouched down as if his life had lost all meaning for him. Ram Prasad and Sanskar tried to hold him up but he was too shaken up with anguish. He could not face the fact that the woman he lived with, for so many years was responsible for the death of Mohini and their son. How could she be so heartless? He broke down completely and Annapurna, for the first time in her life, felt remorse and guilt. She realized the extent of his misery and pain. She never wanted the man she loved to be so heartbroken. And the reason was her own deeds...She buried her face in her arms and cried softly. Swara left the room giving the family privacy. She peeped into Roopali's room and found the woman exhausted with the emotional trauma of recollecting everything. She had fallen asleep. The nurse who was taking care of her, put her on medication. Swara did not want to disturb them. She moved on to a large balcony overlooking the backyard. She stood there watching the setting sun on the horizon.