CHAPTER 20

The party was in full swing and love was in the air. Karan and Nadira were inseparable. Hridoy did not budge from Swara's side. Other than the interns, there were some people from office who as friends were invited. Swara was not aware that the bosses were invited so she was surprised to see Ashutosh and other heads of departments. The venue for the party was in a lounge attached to a star hotel. There was a separate bar counter where people were already crowding. The interns got their first stipend two days back and hence the party.

Swara looked stunning in her long off shoulder gown in monochromatic colours. With her open hair and kohl lined eyes, she aroused lot of interest in the party. Nadira too looked radiant in her long full sleeved kurta and churidar. She wanted to talk to Nadira about Karan but someone or the other was always around them. Even now, they were standing in a group and chatting about their work. Karan casually asked Swara about her stint in the main office.

'Swara, how is your assignment progressing?'
'Great. We are almost done. It just needs little bit of editing.' Swara replied
'But you guys stay very late in the office. Don't you?' he asked
'Sometimes it gets late but not always.' She replied
'And then SM drops you home......'Karan teased her. Suman who was standing next to her, heard Karan teasing her and exclaimed
'What? Swara, you lucky bitch.....SM drops you home?'
Swara was going to deny it but something that Karan said struck her
'How do you know he dropped me home Karan?' she asked Karan pondering over his words
'Aaah, I have spies everywhere...' his retort was supposed to be funny but Swara did not find it so. How did karan know that Sanskar dropped Swara home late that night?
'Seriously Karan, how do you keep track of such things?' she asked. Karan shrugged his shoulders and replied
'I must have been on field around that area and noticed you guys....' His words were vague. Didn't his work involve assembly sessions? So what was he doing in salt lake near the main office? Swara wondered.
The dance floor was opened and people started to move towards the floor with their partners. Before Swara could probe further, Karan asked Nadira for dance and they left the group. Hridoy was not a good dancer so he just stood next to Swara dying to dance with her. Swara was a good dancer so he was feeling shy to ask her due to his poor dancing skills.
'Hi' somebody greeted her and she turned around to see a suave and attractive man in late twenties with a slight French beard. He looked familiar.
'Hi' Swara greeted him
'Ishan here...Swara right?' he introduced himself and asked her. Swara nodded and introduced Hridoy.
'Care for a dance?' he asked. Swara was actually waiting for someone to ask her. She loved dancing and she knew that Hridoy would never ask her because he was a miserable dancer. He always stamped someone's foot every time he shook his legs. Swara accompanied Ishan to the dance floor. The DJ was playing latest peppy numbers. They concentrated on getting their moves right to the dance number. When the beat of the song slowed down, Ishan started the conversation
'I am heading the investigation on Sanskar's attack.'
'Do you work for the channel?' Swara asked him, vaguely aware of having seen him somewhere.
'Yup, Crime reporter but now heading the team and training young journalists....' he described his work profile 'And I want to find out this villain in Sanskar's life because I am worried about him now.'
'And you want first hand information about the attack from me because I was present on both the occasions...'Swara filled in the blanks for him. Ishan admitted, finding Swara Bose smart and witty. No wonder Sanskar was smitten. She was confident and intelligent. Combined with her good looks, she possessed a deadly combination to impress any man.
'We can meet somewhere and talk about it. I don't think we can converse in this din.' He looked around the noisy place and said. Swara laughed and had the same opinion. Even if they tried to have any conversation, it would be difficult to understand in this noise and the crowd.
'How about 11 am tomorrow at Cafe Rock near our office?' he asked and she confirmed it. The song changed to a slow number and they adjusted themselves to the tempo for a slow dance.