CHAPTER 16

The police fished out his body from the river and snapped pictures. The body was decomposed.
'Sir, lagta hai chaar paanch din ho gaya.....'
'Lab bhejo...aur woh gaadi jo mili hume, uske ke saath finger prints match karo..'

The early morning sunlight streamed through the gauzy curtain and Sanskar opened his eyes with irritation.He was not a morning person and only after some cups of black coffee did he settle into the right mood. But this morning, his first thought was of Swara and he grabbed his cell phone to check for messages and calls.There were some but none from Swara. His morning annoyance grew with every passing minute. His coffee and newspaper were brought in by the servant. He perched on the couch with the coffee when his phone vibrated. It was Swara. He let it ring for some time and then connected the call.

'Hello'
'Yes Swara, what is it?' he asked curtly
'I am not coming with you.' She came straight to the point
'Did I give you a choice?' he asked with deflating mood
'Yes, you asked me either to go with you or quit so I decided to quit.' She told him bluntly without mincing the words
He tensed and reminded her about the clause in the contract
'Are you ready with money?'
'What do you mean?' she asked hesitantly
'I told you if you quit midway, you will have to pay one Lakh.' He could not understand why he was being so mean to her. Was it a case of sour grapes?
'By the time you come back, I will keep the money ready.' She replied sharply
Sanskar frowned 'Where will you get the money from?'
'That is none of your business. I will fulfill that bloody clause in your contract. Happy?' And she disconnected the call.

Sanskar stared at the phone for some time and threw it on the bed. He paced the room like a caged tiger.The bloody nerve of her! He didn't expect this from her. He was sure that she would accept the challenge and go with him on this trip....He snatched his travel bag and stuffed clothes in it furiously. His mother entered the room. Oh god! Not now.....

'Mom, I need to leave for a meeting immediately, so please let us talk some other time.'
'Nahi Sanskar..bahut ho gaya..Mujhe abhi baat karna hai..'
'It is not possible mom.' He replied and continued towards the bathroom
'What is going on between you and Mrinal Tarachand?' Sujata asked point blank
Her question halted him and he turned towards his mother 'What do you mean?'
'Seedha sawal hai Sanskar...What is going on between you and her?'

Sanskar was baffled. Where did Mrinal come here? He looked confused and wondered how his mother came to know of their relationship.
'And who told you about us?' he asked his mother, scowling
'So there is something going on...' she mumbled and sat down on the bed as if her whole world was crashing down on her
Sanskar watched her with bewilderment and asked her 'Mom, Will you please tell me what is going on?'
'I will tell you Sanskar...' Annapurna walked in with her saintly expression and explained
'Sanskar, we have found a fantastic girl for you. That is what your mother wanted to discuss with you.'
'What????????'He asked totally stupefied. He looked at his mother who was still in the same posture as if she was talking about doomsday and not his marriage....Seriously, he sometimes felt as if he was living in a circus.

'Badi ma, I am not interested in marriage now. Please, so let us just drop the topic.' He patiently told them. His mother's face shot up and she asked him
'You are not Sanskar?' She looked very pleased with his decision but his aunt was not.
'Sanskar, first hear the girl's name and then decide.' Annapurna said with a glee. Sanskar was looking from one lady to another lady of the house. Were they crazy? Without discussing with him, they selected his bride?

'I am not interested badi ma....And let me tell you that whoever she is, my decision would be the same.' Sanskar clearly expressed his opinion
'Not even Mrinal?' Annapurna asked teasingly
'Mrinal???? Where did she come from?' He looked puzzled
'She is the girl, we have chosen for you...' Annapurna announced, confident of Sanskar's positive response