CHAPTER 13

The siren of the ambulance brought her out of her absorption. As soon as the Paramedics arrived,they took over.She went with them to the hospital and completed all the formalities.They wheeled him into the emergency room and Swara waited. Only then did she remember that she had to tell his family about the accident. Now, whom should she call. If she told Ragini,she would be worried.So she called up her mother and informed.

'Shona, tu kya bol rahi hai?' her mother got worried

'Haan ma ... baba ko bolo, Maheshwari house mein kisiko inform karne'

She gave the hospital address and number. Meanwhile the doctor came back from the emergency and asked her to come in.

'We have managed to remove the bullet and stitch up his arm. Thankfully, it hit only his arm. A few inches to the right, it would have killed him.' He said bluntly. A shudder went through Swara on remembering the moment.

'Have you informed the police?' He asked

'No, Let his family arrive. I am only an employee of the company.' She said

'But you are an eye witness. Anyway, let us wait for the family.' The doctor announced

Swara waited patiently for her parents to come.She remembered Ragini telling her that Sujata aunty was a heart patient. Swara wondered how she was taking the news.

He packed his bags and got ready to leave the dingy room.His job was done.His boss was going to be happy.He would pick up the packet from the same location.He saw the girl who was standing with Sanskar looking at him when he fired.He wanted to shoot her also but his phone distracted him.By then, he saw that the man had fallen down dead.So he sped away before anyone could notice.There was a knock on the door and he frowned.Who could be knocking his door at this hour? He slowly opened the door but there was no one.He bent down to see if there was a packet. He heard the sound of something whizzing through the air and hitting him. He fell down....

Shekhar Gadodia went to Maheshwari house personally to inform them of Sanskar's accident. Swara's mother reached the hospital first and hugged Swara.

'Shona, are you OK?' Swara nodded and hugged her mother. The impact of the whole incident hit her slowly. If she had been a second late, Sanskar would have been killed. For the time being, she controlled herself and maintained a stoic grace.

The Maheshwari men arrived soon and they met the doctor. Sanskar was declared to be out of danger. While the men discussed with the doctor, the police arrived and took Swara's statement. She was not sure who called them but she gave all the details. She could not remember the person who shot because there was tinted glass on the window of the car.She saw only the pistol that jutted out of the window.They told her that she would have to be ready anytime to come to police station and answer their queries.

Swara left home with her mom. Shekhar stayed back with DurgaPrasad and RamPrasad.

The first thing that came to Sanskar's mind was Swara when he opened his eyes.His father and uncle were standing near the bed but she was nowhere to be seen. Where was she? A terrible thought gripped his heart and sweat broke out.

'Sanskar,beta how are you?' DurgaPrasad asked. Sanskar wanted to ask about Swara but his throat was drying up.He signaled the nurse for water. She helped him to swallow drops of water.He waited for her to leave and then asked slowly

'Dad, where is Swara?'

'She is fine beta. She was the one who brought you to the hospital.' He explained

Sanskar heaved a sigh of relief. For a second, he thought he had lost her. His left arm felt numb. The doctor came and explained the injury to all of them.