two

The room was quiet, a mix of awe and alarm circulated throughout the kitchen. Other than the breathing, the only thing that could be heard was the soft hoot of the kettle. Hazel surveyed the room, taking in the reactions of the unknown people, before sighing in exasperation. "What?"

Wordlessly, the man with the shaggy hair and the man with the torn up robes seemed to communicate. They were only using their eyes, but the meaning was easily delivered to the receiver. Their connection obviously had gone back years, maybe even lifetimes. No; the friendship was obvious, and it was clear that it would last a million different lifetimes. Hazel moved her gaze to a trio of children opposite of her that had barged into the kitchen just as Henry said his name. They looked uneasy and accusing. Hazel narrowed her eyes. Of course, she wasn't usually like this, but she was in a high-stress situation where she didn't know where any adults were that she actually was be acquainted with.

Henry awkwardly cleared his throat, almost as a means to start a conversation. "Would you please untie us? We have revealed ourselves to you, haven't we?"

"Why would we do that? You have blatantly lied about who you are. Reveal who you truly are," said the man with the shabby clothes. Rosalie's eyebrows scrunched slightly. "Haven't we just done that?"

Henry just shook his head. "Clearly they don't believe us, Rosalie. Isn't there any way that we could prove to you that we are not lying? We would honestly like to go home, but we can't do that if you keep us here, can we?"

"My name is Hazel Jane Potter, born the 31st of July, 1980. My parents, Jane and Levi Potter, were murdered the 31st of October, 1981. I am now 15 and survived the multiple attempts of being killed by an evil witch named Monvela. Last year I watched a schoolmate killed in front of my eyes. These are my two best friends, Henry Granger and Rosalie Weasley. Now for Merlin's sake can you just let us go already?"

It was silent for a brief period before the boy that had been glaring at Hazel this entire time finally spoke up. "Why should we believe you when you've taken my entire life story?"

Hazel hesitated slightly before answering. "I suppose that's the point. You don't have to believe me, but where is that going to get you?"

That is all the trio remembered from that night. The event that happened afterward were all a blur; simply a drunken memory that they would not remember nor forget.

+

There is indeed a difference between Hazel and Harry. Of course, Harry is just how he always is, although he likes to say he is, "just Harry." Hazel has managed to escape multiple times from the evil within Monvela, but there is something that no one, not even Merlin himself, would be able to figure out about her. Revenge is revenge, and revenge is sweet. Vengeance is sweet, the phrase would not exist if it were not true. Perhaps it's the relentless teasing from those at the orphanage, maybe it is the standard put on women at the time, but Monvela and Voldemort are two different people, in two different spectrums.

Perhaps that is why Hazel and Harry are not that same. The same hardships have different effects on different people. Glass versus plaster, diamond versus ruby. The differences have always been in the people themselves, not truly the difficulties they have had to go through. Of course, that is what is is in this case. Maybe it's because the two fates have finally overlapped as the seers in ancient times have once predicted. Maybe it is all beginning, taking a turn for death, or making amends for life. No one knows the path that the Fates have chosen for young Harry and for young Hazel, but all that is revealed is that they are intertwined. The prickling thorns on a rose simply make up its anatomy, as Hazel's landing can greatly affect Harry's future. The question truly is: for better or for worse?

+

Is this short? Probably. Thank you all for the birthday wishes, it was so much fun! I did enjoy typing this on my new computer, gifted to me by my mom and grandparents. I am very thankful. Please leave your reviews and predictions in the comments!

QOTC: What is your favorite color?

AOTC: Indigo

love,
Ava