/23\

"Who are you going to choose?" Chara looked at you curiously. Unidentifiable figures knelt in a circle around you. Though you could not tell them apart, you felt a strong connection to each.

"I won't choose any of them," you spat and raised your head defiantly, staring into her glowing red eyes. You realized with satisfaction that in the near future you would be able to free the Sans she was possessing.

"If you do not choose," she cocked her head and walked over to one of the figures, pressing a knife to where you assumed their head was. "Then I'll kill each and every one of them. Do you think I'm bluffing? I could care less if they all died."

"I can't..." you murmured, tears in your eyes. "This isn't right..."

"You had your fun toying around in the multiverse, but now that time is done. You fought your war and lost it. Now there is only me."

You refused to reply, forcing your tears back as you stared at the ground. "I have an idea!" Chara exclaims with child-like delight. She grabs you by the shoulder blades and hands you the knife. "We're going to do this the old fashioned way."

"Eeney," she pointed the blade to one of the figures and then began to proceed to the next. "Miney..."

The pattern ended when you had stopped at a figure. They squirmed with unease as Chara removed they veil. Underswap Sans collapsed to the ground, tears welling in his eyes. "Please don't hurt me!" he wailed, all his former pride vanishing.

"You refused to choose, and now he must suffer the consequences," Chara scolded and raised the knife, directly aligning it with his skull.

"FINE!" you roared and swiped the blade from her, throwing it across the room.

"I'll choose."

You woke with a scream, raking your fingernails down your face as if trying to remove the nightmare from your memory. Hot blood ran down your forehead and pooled onto the ground. "Can I help you?" a melodic voice asked from behind you.

There was something about the speaker that you could not place. It had a familiar rumbling sound to it, yet at the same time it was calm.

Standing in front of you was a tall skeleton. He wore a black and grey leather jacket with a white turtleneck underneath. An unlit cigarette dangled out of his mouth. "S-Sans?" you asked, a hint of fear in your voice.

"I don't know what I am," he replied and stared down at his hands. It was only then did you realize his true identity.

You had never heard much about the deceased royal scientist Gaster. Rumors had circulated throughout the Underground that he had lived past the accident that had claimed his life and was a sentient being that existed within the codes of the multiverse. You had paid very little attention to the story, for encounters with Gaster were not frequent.

You placed your hand on one of the familiar glowing stars. Much to your dismay, there was no way to go back to your previous save file. You could only continue.

"There are no more save points," he mumbled and lit the cigarette in his mouth. You coughed at the puff of smoke.

"Those things can kill you," you murmured.

"I have no lungs," he retorted.

You rolled your eyes and sat next to him on the rock. "You aren't Sans, but you're not Gaster. So who does that make you?"

He seemed thoughtful for a moment. "Call me G," he said at last.

"What do you mean there aren't anymore save points?" you pestered and leaned against him, feeling an odd distance between the two of you. The emotion that Sans had often felt for you seemed to be distant.

"Something is urging us onwards," he mumbled. "Something is exceeding you in determination."

"I... I had a dream..." You began to relay to G about Geno's warning. He nodded slowly and then stiffened when you mentioned that Geno had been a deceased version of Sans from a genocide run. "Why are you acting so cold?" you muttered.

"Because..." He shook his head in frustration. "It's nothing." He looked upward at the gaping hole that provided the only rift between the monster world and that of the human's. "We should probably be getting some sleep anyways. We're going to be doing a lot of walking tomorrow."

"Why can't you just teleport?" you groaned.

G gave you a smirk and sat on a patch of buttercups. "What would be the fun in that?" In a quieter voice he added, "I don't have the ability to teleport."

You collapsed face first into the field of buttercups next to G and watched the last of the fading sunlight vanish. "Why are you in the Ruins?" you finally asked.

"It's... It's better if you find out for yourself..." he replied, overwhelming sadness in his voice.

A few more minutes passed without word from either of you. After G's even breaths signified that he was asleep, a knowing smile slowly crept across your face. You pulled a sharpie out from your back pocket and drew two cat ears at the top of his skull. You drew a triangle in where his nose was and drew three whiskers.

For the final touch, you wrote FURRY on his skull.

You cast one last glance at the star-lit sky and drifted off to sleep.

Enjoy the calm before the storm, [Y/N].