Dusttale Ending

ENDING WRITTEN BY ME

*This can't end well*

___________________

You surveyed the vast expanse of Sans' around you, your mind rushing to make the impossible choice. Some of them were from universes that you had never been to, yet you felt a string connection to each.

"Who is it going to be?" Ink asked, his voice a muffled whisper. A stray tear formed in the corner of your left eye. After everything you had done, everything you had been through, it couldn't end this way.

Right?

And that's when you saw him.

You had almost forgotten about him, yet there he was, offering you a piece of his soul. You examined the portion of the soul carefully. It was composed of a fragile material that would seem to blow away at the slightest touch.

Just like dust.

You took a step towards him. Anxious glances were exchanged between several of the other Sans' followed by disapproving glares. Your jaw tightened and your shoulders stiffened. Their ridicule only justified your choice.

"Why me?" he croaked, his red and purple pinpricks meeting your gaze, flashing defiantly. There was a slight twitch to his right arm, as if he felt anxious without a knife in hand.

"I think we should dust off our old differences," you explained, grabbing the portion of his soul before he could object. There was some humor that reflected in his eyesockets as you pressed the division of his soul into your's.

You let out a muffled gasp as a wave of emotions crashed down upon you. Not only did you now share a portion of your soul with Sans, but in turn, you shared an identity. Countless murders replayed in your head to the point where they blended together. Knife after knife, slaughter after slaughter, became inseparable.

You had not expected what emotion he had contributed to these actions. You often thought that he took some sort of primitive joy in slaughtering his kind, but what you found was a massive amount of regret.

I killed everyone.

The replay of memories turned to Sans hunched over a rock, mounds of dust surrounding him. The most prominent emotion was the overwhelming loneliness that consumed him. Every inanimate object was a stifling representation of you in some way. The time you had spent with him... it was the only time he had felt any emotion of some sort.

Your gaze refused to meet Sans' as you turned to Ink. "Will I ever see you again?" you asked, desperately searching his eyes for a different answer than the one you already knew.

"No..." he replied, his voice firm and laced with an emotion you couldn't identify. "The choice you have made was certainly an interesting one to make," he concluded, wringing his hands.

You bade farewell to the few Sans' you had grown to know over the past few weeks and then waved your hand, opening the rift that would take you to the universe where you would spend the rest of your life. You refused to meet Ink's searching gaze, knowing that if you saw him one more time, any determination you had to stay in the Dusttale timeline would collapse.

Did I make the right choice? you wondered as the rift disappeared, leaving you in a world of silence.

You noticed that Sans' hoodie was down, making him look much more like the friendlier version of himself that you had once known. Maybe there is some hope for him after all, you thought, linking your arm with his.