Chapter 8: Suave lé suave

Art by Mitten_KittenPK

Suave- "oh good greetings misure, I wasn't aware that m'lord would be having such company this evening."

Encre- "how do you do, mōn sír? It's a pleasure to meet you..." (Suave, butler suave.) "misure suave, it is then."

Fallacy- "well then suave, mōn misure Encre here will be joining us for the time being, please see to his belongings and make room for him on the coach." (Right away m'lord. If I may?)

Encre's POV: mister suave took my bag to the coach and placed it gently towards the back, taking great effort to not even make a scratch on its surface, and then proceeded to slam a create lock directly above it. Typical. (You'll have to excuse suaves subtle arrogance sometimes, he really does seem to have a WAY with people, doesn't he?) ...what did he mean by that? "Um... Sure, of corse." I nodded him off as he lead me by hand to the doors of the horse pulled trolley. (Your honored, and m'lord, if I may) suave opened up the door for us to enter. First fallacy than me, and took a bow of respect as he shut the door beside us... Although I could have sworn I heard a faint giggle escape his mouth as the carriage bœg clipped closed.

The cart ride was long, but was luxurious at best

The cart ride was long, but was luxurious at best. Me and fallacy would discuss meaningless topics such as preferences in food and little hobbies we'd like to keep to ourselves on our own time. I've even learned a little about this misure suave character as well. "So he likes to collect pressed flowers hmm?" ( indeed, however sometimes he likes to resort to less... Dignified hobbies as well.) "well whatever do you mean?" (You know Encre, one cannot simply just apply to work at the royal estates and expect to be hired on the write. No matter how many or how well the connections they may have. It takes years of training to master the sets of skills necessary to serve the Royal family.) "of course, same goes with any job. So... Misure suave was well trained I take it?" (Oh, hehehe, good heavens no, in fact, he failed every test we gave him, constantly.)

"Uh

"Uh... Oh.... But he seems to be working just fine for you right now, did something in him change?" (No... Or at least not in him. It was my point of view that changed.) "your... Point of view?" (Yes well, you see... It was the month of the final tests, sort of like an entrance exam, but for work training purposes. If suave failed this test, it would have been the fifth one in a row that he had failed, five years in a row. So, as much as I would hate to leave someone so dedicated to a servants cause such as him... I told him that if he didn't pass this years exam, he would be permanently dropped from the program.) "well obviously he's here now, so... He passed?"

[FLASHBACK] fallacy's POV:
Usually I don't attend the training encampments at all, especially during finals where it's hectic. But I made it a point to stay for the judgement just this once, to see if suave would pass this year. I suppose curiosity got the better of me in that regard...

Announcer: (On your toes cadets, the king will be observing the test today. Everyone on there best behavior.)

Gazelle: "heh, you mean observing suave today. Hey suave! What's it like to never be able to live up to your name?!"(who's gazelle?) oh her... I've heard suave speak of her often as more of a rival to him if anything. I think he found it enjoyable to have someone to compete against. She's my top maid for starters. Where suave was worst at his class, she was the A+ student. (Oh I see... Continue...)

Well whatever there reasons where for hating each other, one thing was most curtain, THOSE TWO WORKED LIKE H*** TOGETHER

Well whatever there reasons where for hating each other, one thing was most curtain, THOSE TWO WORKED LIKE H*** TOGETHER. So imagine my amusement when those two where actually partnered up for the team player events. Heh, oh the joy. (Did they biker a lot?) honestly no. Although I did expect them too. Not to say that there hatred for each other wasn't immediately clear from the very beginning, though the way it was portrayed was a lot more subtle. Gazelle was always eyeballing his work, silently judging from a far, and not so silently disapproving. Suave however was a lot more laid back and relaxed, not to say that he wasn't trying his hardest, because he certainly was. He was more the one to enjoy wise cracking at gazelles seemingly spotless performance, always retorting that it wasn't really true to life.

(So how was the exam? Was it interesting?) well

(So how was the exam? Was it interesting?) well... To be honest, it wasn't at all what I expected it to be... The competitive grounds where merciless, I expected that, but what I didn't expect was to what extent. They had mundane tasks that a servant might be expected to perform on a day to day task such as cooking, cleaning, making the bed, driving a carriage, and so on and so forth. (Seems alright so far, so what was the problem?) the PROBLEM was that this servant training was treated more like a competition than an exam or anything else for that matter. And suave was failing every single test, but not because he was really failing, on the contrary he managed to get everything done well and within a timely matter. (So what was the problem with his performance?) that's just the thing, there was no problem with his performance. But apparently, he just wasn't doing the tasks RIGHT. (Right? What do you mean?)

 (Right? What do you mean?)

Well... There are many examples that I could share but the one that stuck with me the most was the very last test, where a replica manikin would stand in for myself. The test was simple and the scenario basic. The manikin (me) would be conformed injured in some way, and the servants where timed on how fast they could get to there fallen masters in time. All the servants had there time to go first, and I'll admit there timing was impeccable. Truly to an impressive state, but then it came time for suave to take the final test. The stage was set, the timer started, (on your mark... Get set.... Go!) and what happened after that well... It was nothing less than spectacular. (Well don't leave me hanging, what happened?)