Chapter 2 - His Proposal

Class with Mr. Reeble, my minor subject teacher, ends after an hour of grueling exam in philosophy. I have Ruiz for history and Haynes for literature in the next few hours.

Studying in Princeton is a big opportunity for me, so it's also a big responsibility that I graduate this year. Dad spent almost all of his life savings to put me here, a huge sacrifice for an ill man who's unemployed and almost broke. I should have applied for a scholarship, but something happened on the day I was supposed to take the exam. I was hospitalized three days after I fell off the stairs, and the broken leg required three months in a cast, just enough for summer before college started. Call it my destiny, but I always think it was bad luck. I am currently working on my degree in English, major in Creative Writing. I've always dreamt of being a writer since I was in high school. Being in the school paper for years gives me the motivation to dream big.

"Angel!" Ray calls in the corridor.

"Oh! Hi, Ray!"

"Hey, about the graduation ball..."

"Yes, I'll be glad to be your partner."

He laughs.

"You're not asking me to be your partner, are you?" I sarcastically ask. I don't have any plans of attending the ball. It's just a waste of time and money. Besides, I have work in the diner.

"That's not why I'm here." We stop in the middle of the corridor. "But it'll be an honor to be your escort." He wiggles his head in a goofy manner. "However, I do not think I'll be escorting you on that night."

I pull him near the lockers so we don't mess up the traffic.

"I've heard from Professor McCartney that Damien requested the facilitators to have the candidates for class valedictorian attend the ball. You are a candidate and will most likely get the top plum," he explained.

I am about to cut him when he raises his finger to stop me from talking.

"Damien knows it, so I have a theory. He's going to use the ball to get you."

"I'm not going to the ball. You know that. Not until I pay my exam fees." If I were to be class valedictorian, I have to take the exam first, right? "Damien was just teasing me, okay? Got that?"

"Believe me, Angel, he isn't joking. He doesn't joke on that matter."

Yeah, right! Sex. Obviously, his clandestine interest in it is laughable, at least for me. I can't believe he won the Student Body Elections with this reputation.

"Ray, Damien Etheridge is just mocking me because of last week. He plays mind games and sees how I react. He will never take it or me seriously. What's the connection with Damien and me and the ball anyways?"

"He might take you as his date!"

"Nonsense!" I dismissively said as I start walking to my next class, but Ray follows me.

"I'm not kidding. It's a possible scenario. He's going to do everything to get you, and he's already started."

"The calling card didn't mean anything, okay?" Gosh! How long should I have to pretend? The truth is, I am trying so hard to condition my mind that Damien Etheridge is just playing with me because of that embarrassing incident. He could be laughing in his mind right now. A serious and smart girl asking that question? What a disgrace! Anyone with the right mind doesn't just ask a random guy to make out with her. I can't believe how anxiety and fear for my father's life wrecked my rationality back then. It was like I was high on something or what.