Chapter 19 - When Tables Are Turned

Almost everyone is set clearing their lockers for the summer vacation. The seniors are all getting giddy for the rehearsals while the juniors are running from the registrar's office to their teacher's table for their summer workloads. I just don't know where I'd put myself. It's too early for work in the cafeteria, and classes are almost over. I have nothing left to do but watch these ecstatic people saunter by me. Maybe I shouldn't have come early. I feel so out of place in this sea of expecting students.

"Mohr!"

I peek over my shoulder, surprised to hear a familiar voice.

Haynes?

"In my office, now!" His face peeping out of his office door.

With not a clue about what is set to happen, I silently get inside his office.

Haynes stands, with his back leaning against the edge of his table, his two arms supporting his weight. His glare could knock out an army of angry students with failing marks.

"Shut the door," he commands.

I follow.

"After thinking over this matter, I've decided to let you march."

I freeze.

His glare goes from my stunned pale face down to my trembling legs.

"Aren't you happy?" A meaningful grin formed at the edge of his mouth.

I feel like this is not going to be good. This just can't be good — for me.

"Thank you, Mr. Haynes." I hear my voice cracking. I pretend I am not affected at all by his crusty macabre lines. "I'm surprised!"

"After hearing what Damien had told me about you, I thought of reconsidering."

"I wonder what he's told you."

Haynes crosses his arms and continuous to fix his glare on me.

"Etheridge has made me quite an appealing bargain. At first, I thought it was absurd but then, after seeing how passionate he was about it, I think I might go with it."

The excitement starts to sizzle within me.

He continues, "The first deal was to let you pass my subject so you can graduate while he works for the price. Want to guess what it was?"

I shrug my shoulders. What could Damien do... for me? I just don't think he's got the heart for that. After all he's done to me, I could only think of him as an obstinate, selfish jerk, and nothing more.

"He'd work for me for one more year as my research assistant, then I'd let him go when this special project of mine is finished."

That would mean I'd graduate while Etheridge stays in college doing errands for Haynes. All this he'd do for me?

Just the thought of it sends unsettling sensation all over my stomach, like a shovel digging deep down into it. It's a marvel to me as to why an unfeeling guy like him would even think of sacrificing. Nope, I won't call it sacrificing. It's too grand for a person with a little heart like Damien. Maybe in due time I'd figure out what I'd call this peculiar action. Sacrifice just isn't something a Damien Etheridge could do.

"Etheridge already has his hands on the project as of now but, as I think of it again, I do think it would be unfair for him if I put all the stress on him. This young man is willing enough to sacrifice his future for some girl who didn't even put an ounce of effort for your supposed team thesis, which by the way I found rather exceptional."