Chapter 14 - Limitless

Waiting for the right time to escape Stone's clutch, I keep my eyes on Lark who is currently talking to Mrs. Lowe and her group of bubbly and loquacious friends. I don't know how to make him help me, but I will try my best to talk to him. Payment? I'll work harder to earn more. I'll even say yes to whatever Stone says just to close a deal for higher pay. I'll do anything for a kidney at this point.

"Angel, come with me," Stone whispers right on top of my ear with a reserved smile on his face to catch the media's attention as his hand gently touches my elbow then slides to the small of my back.

"Where?"

I see Stone eyeing a gray-haired man in a fine gray suit standing tall and strong for his age. I squint my eyes to get a clearer view of him when I realize that I've always seen his face on papers and on the television.

It's the mayor! It's Damien's father!

There's a woman standing beside him with her long, brunette hair all curled, her neck adorned with the largest ruby in the venue. My eyes grow large as I recognize the woman as his wife, the mayor's first lady and Damien's mother — the woman who I saw in the bank the other day. She's her! I'm a hundred percent sure about this. Now I know why she looks awfully familiar.

With anxiety building up, I step back.

"What's wrong?" Stone's eyebrow arches.

"Do I really have to come with you?" I search the venue for the shadow of a man I have to avoid tonight. Damien must not see me looking like this, definitely not while doing something like this. What will he think of me? What will he say about this? A limitless torture awaits me, definitely. Everything will become worse. I can't imagine a life with Damien not giving me a break. It will be worse than hell. I mean, I've always been adamant about not making out with him. I'm too scared and innocent for such a thing, but look what happens to me now? I am selling my entire self, my identity, even my body if the situation calls. I am a terrible person. This is how low I can get for money. This is how low I can be to make ends meet. There's no other option really.

Damien and his one-million-dollar offer? I wasted it. I can't go back and ask him for another chance. Here's Hunter Stone who's willing to pay me the right amount if I please him. He's not even asking for sex. He just wants a decent escort to boost his popularity, and voila! I become a few thousands richer in just one night.

Damien must not see me tonight. That's it! He must not!

"You have to be always with me, Angel," he answers.

"Okay." I stiffly nod. "But why do you have to meet the Mayor?"

"You've said the answer. Etheridge is the mayor. Everyone wants to be with him in a photograph." He shrugs his broad shoulders to loosen his coat a bit and fixes his tie.

Publicity. How greedy can Stone be for publicity?

Then, he gently pulls me toward the Etheridges. I feel my knees literally shake. In my head, Damien's face keeps popping out like a clown in a box, mocking me. I can only cross my fingers that he doesn't show up or else a disaster is likely to happen.

"Sir," Stone speaks in a solid tone as though commanding for attention. The mayor turns to face us as soon as he hears Stone clearing his throat and his smiling face brightens up more.

"Hunter!" he exclaims jubilantly with his arms open wide like he's urging Stone for an embrace which Stone gives for, I guess, civility. "Good to see you looking as good as ever!" The mayor studies the now apprehensive Hunter Stone. I've noticed that he's become taut like a board, so opposite to the naturally charming and smiling personality in front of the cameras.