Chapter 17 - Act Not Told

"What went into their minds?" Ray sighs. "Did some evil spirit possess them?" He rolls his eyes at me. I think I get what he wants to imply. I am no evil spirit, and I definitely was not the reason for the two going berserk. The cab we are riding turns left, but the driver seems too busy listening to his earphones that I am quite confident he won't hear the mention of Etheridge's name. We are on our way to the hospital. I will be checking out Dad's laboratory results one last time before we check out tomorrow morning. I still have yet to apologize to Eric for being too blunt a while ago.

"The animalistic instinct of the male species dominated them!" Ray continues to tease. "It was such a sight to see two guys fighting over you, Angel! It doesn't happen all the time."

"They weren't fighting because of me, Ray. It's just that both were onion-skinned and too egoistic to step back."

"Say all you want, Angel, but I saw something different," he persists. "My eyes did not deceive me. Are you still angry at Damien?"

Is that even a question?

"Perhaps you should consider hearing him out. Know his side of the story." Ray pulls out a brown envelope from his bag and hands it over at me. "Asked Carol to sneak into Damien's office. I genuinely think Damien spent more than what we can imagine creating this whole de Vere treasure. This is actually magnificent, Angel! I am no expert critique, but I think Damien did more than a good job. Here, he even put your name together with his in the cover page. That's sweet!"

"He's the reason I'm not graduating!" I blurted out. "And for heaven's sake, you stole this for what?"

"To let you know that Damien has some goodness in him... I think."

"My opinion about him will never change. Unless he does something to reverse my fate."

Well, that is something impossible. Damien cannot alleviate this. He's no God to turn the tables around.

The cab pulls in just outside the hospital's entrance. Ray leans over the open window of the cab and reaches for my arm before I could walk away.

"Do something about the hot doctor, okay?" He winks at me.

"I won't forget," I say.

"And will you promise me you'd take into consideration forgiving Etheridge?"

It seems like he won't release his grasp unless I give in to his request.

I nod.

"Promise me, Angel."

"Fine!"

"Then all is well. I'll pick you up tomorrow morning."

"Thanks in advance, Ray."

"Anything for you, dearest!" He smiles.

"But you know I hate surprises!"

"How did you know?"

Treading along the hospital corridor, I take notice of Eric talking to two male nurses at the station, probably discussing a case. He is holding an x-ray film which appeared to be an image of an impaled hip bone. I slow my pace as I get closer to him. The corners of his eyes slightly move to my direction, and he knows of my presence. To my utter surprise, he bobs his head as though acknowledging my arrival.

As soon as the male nurses leave, I halt in front of him, gathering my palms together as I feel my legs shake in fear of being ignored.

"Hi!" I greet, trying to sound joyful.

"Hi!" he greets back. His voice hiding a dismal guttural sound. His hands slide into both his pockets, and he stands there with his chin held high. He's gauging whether I am easily intimidated or wavered. I can't blame him. He was pretty hurt by what I did... hurt and embarrassed.