Chapter 11 - Beneath The Skin

"No, Angel!" Dad points out after I told him about my schedule for three compatibility tests early tomorrow morning. "I'd rather die than take your kidney!"

"Dad, it's best for you." I squeeze his hand, hoping he'd see how serious I am, and how critical this situation is for him if he remains steadfast with his judgment.

It is not easy for him to learn about his cancer, and the only way for him to survive is for me to lose one kidney.

"This is ridiculous!" He's never shouted at me like this. Striking electricity hits my spine as I see Dad so angry. "I'm not going to sign the consent! I'm not doing the operation!"

"Dad, please," I literally beg.

"Get yourself straight, Angel! You're young, and you're going to have a good future. I'm not going to let myself ruin that." His voice is on the verge of breaking. I see Mom's eyes at me, gesturing that I should stop. She, too, looks almost red as she tries to suppress her tears. "I'm old, useless, and broke. There's nothing much left for me. Why put yourself in danger just to save an old, useless man!?"

"Don't say that," I whisper.

Tears burst out of his eyes. I immediately give him an embrace, telling him he's not the man he thinks he is. Why does he even think this way? Did Mom and I do something to make him think ill of himself? He's not useless. He's never a burden. It's the situation, not Dad.

"Don't you ever try to do those tests, Angel." His voice softens as emotions pour. "Promise me, you'll never do them."

I have to say yes so he will stop crying. As soon as he calmed himself down, the nurse injects him a drug to put him to sleep. Apparently, our squabble has taken a toll out of him as his blood pressure shot up. But Dr. Martin says he will be okay after he gets some sleep and as the hypertensive medication takes effect.

Mom and I got to his office to talk about our options. I wish there are other options as I hate to break Dad's heart.

"Can't Mom or I sign the consent?" I sound really fraught.

"The patient has to do it, Angel," answers Dr. Martin. "It's protocol."

"Can we drug him like what you just did?"

"Angel!" Mom exclaims in protest.

"Dad won't know when he's under the influence of some drug. When he wakes up, he'll have a new kidney."

"Still, not an ethical thing to do." Dr. Martin seems a little surprised. "I might lose my license."

"Then what shall we do?" I question.

"Aside from convincing him to do it and you donating your organ, we can look for a new kidney donor from the organ bank."

My eyes light up. Hope hasn't fully left us.

"But it's quite a long process and expensive, too. We have to wait before we reach the priority list. It's first come, first serve basis, and there are hundreds or even thousands of applicants per year."

"So, you're saying it's almost impossible..." Mom finally speaks while attempting to hide her panic.

"No," he replies. "It's isn't impossible, but it will take time before we secure a donor. We have to wait."

"We'll start looking now," I say. If we start now, we might hasten this whole thing, and Dad will have a new kidney before we know it. I am aware that he's in dire need of it and that the operation must be done as soon as possible before the tumor grows and fully impedes his kidney's function. "What shall we do first?"