THree PaTHs - PaRt 3

D4y 2, F0ur7h F100r, Curr3n7 Tim3 L00p - C4n4d4, 3n9l4nd & (F/n)

You sprint out the door, England leading the way and Canada bringing up the rear. You run upstairs and enter the piano room. No one speaks for a moment, either trying to regain their breath or wondering what is happening downstairs. You are doing the former. Racing up all those stairs reminds you of how bad your fitness has gotten. England clears his throat, readjusting his tie.

"Okay," he grabs your attention, practically breathing the word as he straightens up. "We'll investigate this room before the others get here." England plans, green eyes already flickering around the room.

"Alright. Um, first, this piano..." Canada wonders off. You cast your gaze to the piano and your eyes widen. Making a noise of surprise, you approach the musical instrument in bewilderment. The keys on the piano have colourful English numbers written on them. "It has these numbers..." Canada gestures to them.

"Yeah, I see that." You say in a duh tone. "But they weren't here before." You gently run your finger across the numbers, but the ink doesn't smudge. You begin scratching it.

Maybe sharpie?

"Oh... sorry. That was really rude." You apologise to Canada, head suddenly whipping around to face him in panic. You didn't realise how blunt you were.

"It's fine. At least you had the courtesy to apologise." Canada smiles, eyes squinting. "And they weren't here before?"

"Oh, yeah." You bite the inside of your cheek. "Me and Japan were in here yesterday. And it was clean..."

"I'm not sure what they're supposed to mean." England inspects the notes beside you. "Was there something we needed numbers for?" England asks you both.

"Not that I'm aware of," Canada replies.

"The mansion hasn't been fully searched." You point out, not wanting them to snip any possibilities. "Maybe it's for a safe?" The Brit hums in thought at your idea.

"This house is built in the right era to have a safe, so, it is a possibility." Canada quirks a brow at your theory.

"Yes, you are right." England nods absentmindedly at the idea as he approaches the bookcase. You stand awkwardly for a second, looking between both men. You had spoken with Britain when he first arrived with China, he invited you to sit next to him and he spoke to you after you fixed up Russia. Canada, on the other hand, you had only greeted briefly. plus you feel embarrassed for being rude to Canada just seconds ago. You stop beside England as he removes books, reading the blurb, then puts it back again.

"What are you looking for?" You wonder, straining to look at the new book he grabs.

"Seeing if there's anything of use here," England answers as he reads the title of another book before replacing it. He then looks down at you, a gentle smile on his face. Your face heats up at such a soft expression as a smile slowly grows.

"Yes?" You raise a brow at his staring. He puts the book back and faces you head-on.

"Thank you for saving me, (F/n)." He thanks formally.

"I haven't saved you." You answer in confusion, squinting at him.

"Don't be modest." England rolls his eyes, waving off your dismissal. "When the Thing came to attack me," he takes a staggered breath, "I-I was frozen stiff. If it weren't for you knocking me out of the way, I would have been harmed; or worse." His lips simmering into a sincere smile. "I thank you for that." Your mouth opens to reply, and then you close it again; thinking of something to say. You knew that monster was coming, but for some reason, Japan didn't hit his cue. He should have arrived before you tackled Britain. You grimace. You had moved in a panic. You keep telling yourself to trust the game, yet your actions don't support it. Good thing, otherwise Britain would be sashimi. At least Japan was there to release his frustrations, even if it was wrongly placed.