Help Me

"You are late for class; I'll write you a pass." Mr. Perry took out a pad of yellow paper and began writing. " I'm sorry, I didn't catch your name." " It's Lyla but I was interested in joining your class, I hate P.E. and this could get me out of it," I smiled really big. " Well Lyla, we would have to talk to your student advisor. " " I'll go with you." Mr. Perry walked back in the classroom.  The students seemed to be having a lot of fun, as there was much laughing and joking around. He said something to Ed and then joined me in the hall. We walked down the hall and towards the admissions office. Mrs. Keller was my student adviser. I didn't particularly like her, but maybe Mr. Perry could flirt with her to make her more agreeable. She looked up from her computer screen, saw it was me, and kept typing. " What can I do for you Lyla?" "Shouldn't you be in P.E. now?" Mrs. Keller had an amazing memory; she probably knew what I wore to school on this very day, last year. " Yes, but Mr. Perry was nice enough to write me a pass, I was showing a new student where the music room is." " Guess I lost track of time." She didn't look up even once but kept on typing. " I'd say so; you have missed half of the class." " Well I was wondering if I could switch class; I want to take guitar lessons." Mrs. Keller sighed and finally stopped typing. " You are required to take half a semester of P.E., I can't change the rules."  I glanced at Mr. Perry but he merely shrugged his shoulders. Some help he is. " Now, let me sign your pass so you can let this poor man return to class. " Really, I have to take P.E ??" " I hate it, I'm not althletic and..." But I wasn't able to finish because a young woman, probably about 25 or 26 years old interrupted me. " I couldn't help but overhear, my name is Miss Mason." I am the new gymnastics teacher. " " My class only has ten students, I need at least five more." " I'm hoping the schedule changes will allow me to have more than one class, but unfortunately,  I am only available after school." " Miss Mason, could you wait over there please?" She pointed to an empty desk and told her she wanted to talk to her. They whispered back and forth. Mrs. Keller sighed again and walked back to her desk. " The principal will have to de cide on this." " I will let you know by the end of the day." " You may leave your last period class fifteen minutes early to talk to me." " For now, assume your schedule will stay the same." Mr.Perry and Miss Mason both wished me good luck and I reluctantly headed towards the gym, though if I stopped in the restroom, I would only have a few minutes of actual class time. I wouldn't have to change into my gym clothes...
      I was certain I wouldn't hear any good news but I was surprised. Students had three weeks to drop a class and since it was the second week, there was no problem there. Miss Mason's class was after school, only because it was a last minute decision, on the school's part. The principal agreed that gymnastics would fulfill the "athletics" required and I would still have to talk to my parents. I didn't have a guitar, obviously and I wasn't sure if there were any extra fees. I was so excited I went right to the music room, hoping I would find Mr. Perry or even Ed. The door was slightly open but I could hear guitar playing. And singing! I can't carry a tune but a new a beautiful voice when I heard one. I didn't want to disturb him so I lingered near the door, waiting until he was finished. I knocked and opened the door. Ed seemed happy to see me. " Hey Lyla, Mr. Perry said you might be joining our class." " I am, I was hoping I could find him." " As long as my parents approve, I'm in!" " That's great!" " But I don't know where to get a guitar or even how much one might cost, I suppose a used one would be best." " I have an old one at home; it just needs some new strings and cleaned up a bit." " You can have it," he said smiling. " Oh no, I couldn't just take it, tell me how much you want for it, " I said crossing my fingers.  " Relax, I am giving it to you as a gift, as a mate, or friend, but it is no problem." " I can have it ready by tomorrow. " " Thanks so much, Ed. " " I guess I will see you tomorrow. " We said goodbye but as I was leaving, Mr. Perry walked past. I excitedly told him my good news. He welcomed me to the class and told me to come back to the class, he had some papers to give me. The fee of ten dollars for the lesson book we would be using. Miss Mason had been in the office,  she had given me papers as well as, forms for my parents to sign. Her class did not cost anything, she didn't have a uniform for n us to wear, as long as it was something you could move in like leggings or yoga pants. I hoped my parents would say yes....