The Dance

Ed had found the perfect costume, it was a pirate costume with a patch and everything. I still had no idea what to dress up as. When I finally thought of something, I texted my idea to Ed. He texted back "great idea" lol. I despised cheerleaders and loved zombie movies so I would be a zombie cheerleader.
     I still wasn't thinking of going to the dance together as a "date." Ed didn't seem interested in me. I was pretty sure there were other girls he'd rather date.
     Ed picked me up early so we could eat but I wasn't that hungry. Nerves, I supposed. Ed ordered two bacon cheeseburgers, large fries, and onion rings. Oh and a chocolate milkshake.  I ordered a strawberry milkshake. Ed was really funny. It almost felt like a real date. I insisted on paying my share but Ed wouldn't have it. Nice gesture, I thought.
    Annabelle was the only one of my friends who even wanted to come to the dance . She even said she had a date, some mystery guy who went to another school.
     Once we got to the school,  I stopped and talked to a few kids I actually liked. Ed was the center of attention as a bunch of girls oohed and aahed over his costume. I helped him pick it out, I thought bitterly. I normally was not the jealous type but it bothered me to see Ed get so much attention. A slow song came on and a couple of girls asked him to dance. I saw him turn down each one as he walked towards me. " Shall we?" he said as he led me to the floor. I was a terrible dancer but slow-dancing didn't require much effort. Just rocking back and forth. The song ended and Ed said he had something to do. A few minutes later the music teacher made a brief announcement to introduce Ed. The moment he got on stage girls started cheering. I rolled my eyes and sat down. Ed was great but I had heard him sing before. He sang two songs and took a fifteen minute break. He was headed my way but Annabelle of all people stopped him. I wish I knew what they were saying. As I approached them Annabelle waved awkwardly  then disappeared. " Hey Ed, you sounded really good but I didn't know you knew Annabelle?" " Yeah we have a few classes together." Though I noticed he didn't say what they were talking about. We chatted for a few more  minutes and Ed went back on stage to sing two more songs. Annabelle walked over to me looking really upset. " What 's wrong?" I asked. " My date stood me up but Ed said he would dance with me." It wasn't like Annabelle to be a bitch but then I reminded myself that Ed and I were just friends. " Lyla, I think  you should know something." Annabelle looked a little nervous as she spoke. " Ed has been hitting on me a lot, especially in English class, he is a nice guy but he is a flirt, I just wouldn't want you to get hurt." " Ed and I are just friends, what he does is his business." But I didn't mean it. " Really?!" She said excitedly. " Ed and I are going out next Friday." " I wanted to be sure you were okay with it." I wasn't but Ed never asked ME out. Annabelle is pretty but annoying. I should have known. Annabelle can be sneaky. " Cool." " I hope you guys have fun." But my heart was breaking.
     I didn't mention it to Ed, after all, I was only a friend. Ed danced with Annabelle and I for most of the songs. Then she whispered something in his ear and asked me if I minded if we took Annabelle home. I said no but I was kind of upset. If Ed thought anything was wrong, he didn't let on. The dance ended at 9:00 but my curfew wasn't until 10:30. We had alot of time to kill. Ed was asked to play one more song. I looked for Annabelle but she must have gone to the restroom. Ed went up on stage and more screaming was  heard. A few minutes later, Annabelle returned. She told me her mystery date had called her begging for her forgiveness. She didn't tell me how she even had met that guy, only that he is a friend of a friend. Once Ed was done singing, a crowd of girls surrounded him, telling him how he was the next big thing. Ed finally was free to leave. Annabelle whispered something to Ed again. " Lyla, do you mind if I take you home first?" " Uh,no I guess not." Though I was more pissed off as the night went  on. " Annabelle wanted to know a little bit about the guitar. I'm sorry."  Since  when did she have any interest in playing the guitar?! " Okay, whatever, that's  fine. Annabelle smiled but I'm sure she knew I was mad. " Annabelle, you have a guitar?" " No but I was thinking about getting one." " Ed is such a great guitar player, don't you think so?" " Yes he is good." I couldn't say anything mean. The ride home, Annabelle did most of the talking and Ed didn't seem to mind. Occasionally he asked  me my opinion on a subject, but otherwise I couldn't get a word in.
We pulled up to my house and Ed offered to walk me to the door. "You don't have to,but I had fun." "Thanks for being a good friend." I said goodbye  to Annabelle, I swear she looked like she was gloating,but I didn't want to make a scene. As they drove off, I'm sure they were talking about me. At least Annabelle would be...