Fairweather Friends

I wanted to believe Annabelle, but I didn't. Ed wouldn't be back until next week. I would just play it cool, see how things go.
      Michaela texted me and told me she needed to talk to me, she could pick me up. I agreed, as it was a Friday night and I had zero plans. I was really surprised Michaela wasn't with her boyfriend, they were attached at the lips. Literally. My mom yelled, "curfew is still 11:00," as I walked out the front door. Michaela was unusually quiet, I thought for a second her and her boyfriend broke up, then I saw a new picture of them on her dashboard. It was one of those cheesy photobooth pictures. We decided we weren't hungry so we got coffee instead. As we entered Starbucks, Michaela said she would get our drinks so I picked a table. She knew exactly what I wanted, a peppermint hot chocolate and she had an iced cappuccino. "So, have you heard from Annabelle?"She asked as she took a sip of her drink. "No, have you?" " She texted me a few days ago, she was really upset about something." I knew I shouldn't say anything about Annabelle's supposed pregnancy so I kept my mouth shut. Michaela hesitated a second before saying, "Lyla, there is something you should know." I set my drink down and looked up at her so she knew she had my attention. "I wasn't supposed to tell you this but really, I didn'texpect things to go this far." " When you told us you asked Ed to the Halloween dance, Annabelle was really jealous." " I know Michaela, she liked him." " Nothing new." " No, it wasn't that." " She knew you liked him and she didn't think you had a chance." " She never had a date, that was made up." " She didn't want Ed to like you, so she asked him out." "She was planning on dumping him after their first date, but she said she was having too much fun." " She even cheated pn him with some guy she barely knew, he goes to our school." " She got a kick out of hurting you and well, I'm sorry." " I told her that was cruel but she didn't care." " I don't think she even liked him that much."  " The worst part is, she is telling everyone she is pregnant and it is Ed's!" " I know Annabelle's family has a history of infertility plus she has been on birth control since she was 13, because of heavy periods." " It could be possible, but I don't believe she is even pregnant." I was speechless, that was pretty  low but also petty. " Annabelle has some major issues and she told me she was pregnant, too." " I didn't believe her, though." "I'm sorry, Lyla." " I didn't think she would go this far." We talked some more and decided we both would confront her. She couldn't get away with this! Michaela kept apologizing, I told her I wasn't mad at her. I knew that Annabelle could be stubborn.
     Ed returned the following Monday. I hadn't gotten a chance to talk to Ed alone, to warn him about what had been going on. Ed met me by my locker after school. I tried to ignore the whispers and stares. If Ed knew anything, he was not letti g on. As I closed my locker door, I saw Annabelle. She was with Michaela and some girl I didn't know. Annabelle   looked annoyed but said hi, anyways. " Hey Ed, I need to talk to you right away." Annabelle whispered something to Michaela who whinced, as though in pain. " Annabelle, I'm kind of in a rush, now isn't a good time." " Ed, you have to listen to me." She lowered her voice and leaned in towards him, "I'm pregnant," she said. Michaela face-palmed and the new girl just looked awkward. "What in the bloody hell do you mean?!" " This isn't my mess!" Annabelle actually looked upset. " Ed, I know we can work this out, just give it a chance." "Look, we broke up a few months ago." " We bloody well used protection." " You know that, so how could it be mine?!" " You don't believe me?!" Annabelle was a good liar, but something made me think she was telling the truth, at least about being pregnant. " Who else have I been with?" Ed looked lost for words. "Annabelle," Michaela spoke up, "Tell Ed what you told me last week." Ed was getting mad. " I... I cheated on you so it could be his, but I just don't know!" Everyone had left already. The halls were empty. I definitely missed the bus. Ed could give me a ride. "Annabelle, I have not touched you since before Christmas." " It is almost April." "So tell me, who is the guy you cheated on me with?" " He is a senior, you don't know him." " It has been more than once." Ed was shaking his head. "Annabelle, why don't you just leave Ed alone?" " You have caused enough problems!" Annabelle seemed shocked, I have never spoken up in that way, and certainly not towards her. "Fine. " " Lyla, he is fooling you." " Nice to know you choose him over me." She turned and walked away, the girl whose name I didn't know, followed. Michaela stayed behind and told me she was done with Annabelle. Ed begged me to believe him. I really wanted to, but Annabelle could be so convincing. What was the truth?!