Halloween

Once I told my friends I was going to the dance with an actual date, they seemed upset or maybe jealous. I couldn't tell. I tried not to talk about it too much. I didn't want to be annoying. Annabelle was the one who should have a date. She was the prettiest but a little snobby at times.  Rayanne was the funniest and Michaela was the most daring. That left me. I'm not sure what I was. When I told everyone, they all got real quiet. Then Annabelle spoke. " Not to be mean, but do you think he REALLY likes you?" I was a little offended but pretended not to be. " I'm not sure how much he likes me, but we are friends," I reasoned. " I don't know him so I have no idea, but I heard he is a big flirt and," she paused for a second," possibly an addict." I rolled my eyes. Annabelle liked to gossip, too and she believed every rumor she heard. " Wait," said Michaela. " What kind of addict, drugs or alcohol?" She was being totally serious. " What difference does it make?" Annabelle looked irritated and the fighting started. Annabelle had to be right. I kept quiet as my friends discussed the slow addiction to pot and how it can lead to harder drug use. THIS IS MY LIFE! HELP!!!
      It was two weeks before the dance, and I still had not found a costume. Maybe Ed would change his mind and say he couldn't go? I barely talked to him because he was becoming more popular. All of the girls wanted him to give them private guitar lessons and the two boys in our class might have been a tad jealous. I figured it would be best to ask him after class if he wanted to go with me to look at costumes. I knew the bell would be ringing soon. Ed had my lunch period but I seldom saw him. I heard he could be found outside on nice days sitting under a tree and playing his guitar. Go figure. Ed was busy looking at some sheet music so I tapped him gently on the shoulder. " Hey Lyla, did you need help with the new chords we've been practicing?" I'm sure I looked like an idiot as I replied, "Yes, I mean no, I don't think so." Ed looked amused but I was feeling more foolish. " Actually I was wondering if you wanted to go with me to find a costume because, ya know,  the dance is in two weeks." Ed looked slightly confused then must have realized. " Oh my god, Lyla, I almost forgot." "I've been so busy tutoring," he said pointing to his guitar. " I'm free.." he paused and pulled out his phone. " Today after school would be good." Did he really just schedule me in?! " Today would be good," I replied nonchalantly. " Good," he said with a smile. " Meet me at my locker." He picked up his guitar case and set in the corner, where he always kept it. Mr. Perry trusted Ed enough that he gave him a set of keys to the classroom. I said goodbye and hurried to lunch. I wouldn't tell anyone. It will only cause another dispute. Even though my friends should be ha ppy for me...