Christmas Break-Up

I knew Ed was planning on going home for Christmas and i was kind of glad. Things have been...awkward. Luckily, no one seemed to notice. I didnt have any plans for Christmas break, not yet, anyways. Michaela and Rayanne were still doting on Annabelle,which was totally maddening. I get it, but Ed was not her first boyfriend and certainly would not be her last. I tried scouring my yearbook, in hopes that i could find myself a potential boyfriend, but i wasnt having any luck. Not that i was into petty game-playing, i just thought a new guy would help me get over Ed and to make matters worse, i couldn't talk about it to anyone.
     It is the last day of school for the year. Everyone was psyched and learning anything was impossible. Some kids skipped school to start their vacation "early" but my parents made me go, anyways. Go figure. I was hoping to avoid Ed, but he was standing by my locker after the last bell. I didnt want to talk to him but he is STANDING IN FRONT OF MY LOCKER! I stopped to tie my shoe and i saw him fiddling with my lock. "Hey, Ed did you get confused?" " Your locker is right there," I said pointing across from me. " Uh no, not exactly." " I have something i wanted to give you.." but Ed was quickly interrupted by Annabelle. "Hi Ed." "Hey," Ed replied but he didnt look exactly thrilled. "Are you busy tonight?" " Yes, actually I am." "OK, well i need to talk to you.." she glanced at me before continuing, "alone." "Look Annabelle,  I need to pack, im going to be leaving early tomorrow morning." " Cant it wait?" " I didn't realize you were leaving tomorrow but I will just text you later." "And why were you trying to get into Lyla's locker?" " She asked me to leave her notes, for Science." "But you have Science with me.." "It is nothing important," Ed said looking nervous. "Hmm, okay." "Well, I guess i will just talk to you later." " Yes, later." Annabelle walked away and Ed looked relieved. "So what were you trying to give me?" " A note and a song I wrote." " It is still a work in progress but i want you to tell me what you think." "Sure, well i gotta go, i have to take the bus today." " Uh, right." " See you later,Lyla."
     I read Ed's note as soon as i got home. I dont know what i was expecting. Maybe a confession of his undying love for me? Not quite. It was only half a page long. Basically, Ed apologized again and wanted to ensure our friendship. The last part was the song, which was pretty good. I hated to admit it, but i was not over Ed. How could i be?! He would be gone until after January 1. That gave me two weeks to NOT think about him and our semi-hot make-out session. Annabelle was really freaking out. Ed officially broke up with her. I knew she was upset but i was secretly glad. I have to agree, Ed was being a douche. Would he do the same thing to me? At least they had a clean break, even though i am sure Annabelle did not see things that way.