Good news, Bad news

My parents seemed hesitant,  at first. But with much begging and pleading they signed the forms. I assured them I had a guitar, they wouldn't have to rent me one. When I told them some kid I hardly knew was giving me one, they were skeptical. I told them Ed was trustworthy. Then my brother walked in the room, "Lyla's got a boyfriend, Lyla's got a boyfriend!" For almost 18, my brother could be very immature. " Ignore him, please." " So can I?" My mom looked at my dad and they both said in unison,"okay." I was excited. I couldn't wait!
      I was disappointed that Ed was not at school the next day. Mr. Perry let me use his guitar during class but suggested I "look into" renting a guitar.
     At lunch, I googled the cost and I found a rental store that was a few blocks away from the school. It couldn't cost THAT much. My friends thought "something was wrong" but I lied and said I had PMS. I didn't want my friends to know!
     Ed was gaining some popularity, especially among the girls. A few girls talked about "the British guy" and is he single? Why is he here and for how long? One girl in particular, Paige Daughtery seemed to talk about him a lot. Paige is known to be a big flirt. She is pretty, though but I've heard she has bad breath.
      Ed still had not returned to school by Friday. Mr. Perry again suggested I should rent a guitar. I told him Ed promised me an old one that he had. He said he didn't know when he would be back at school. Feeling dejected, I went to the student services office. I was sent a message during third period that Mrs. Keller needed to see me. When I walked into her office, she was talking to another student, so I waited in one of the chairs. Finally the boy left. "Lyla, come here, please." " I'm afraid you won't be able to take gymnastics, her class is not required, meaning it is an after-school program and doesn't count as a grade. " You will have to take P.E. next semester." " I thought the principal approved it..." I trailed off, at a loss for words. " Mr. Ledger was misinformed." " My apologies, Lyla." She actually seemed sorry, to my surprise. As I was leaving the office, I saw a student posting flyers in the hall. I grabbed one before they were gone. In a few days, they would all be on the floor, anyways. Our school newspaper needed  someone for the sports section. If I had to attend any game, I would not enjoy that at all. But I knew that must be a requirement,  but still...maybe it wouldn't be that bad?
     Ed didn't return to school until a week later. I didn't get a chance to talk to him before class and I was kind of shy about approaching him. I waited until the end of class when I knew everyone would be gone. " Hey Ed, I'm glad you are feeling better." " Thanks Lyla, I had a nasty flu." " So I was wondering if you knew where I could rent a guitar." " Mr. Perry has been bugging me about it. Ed looked surprised and then he realized. " Lyla I'm a flaming idiot, I forgot about your guitar." " Are you free after school?" " Yes but I take the bus, I..." " No worries, I will give you a ride and we will stop at my house and grab it." " I don't want to be a bother. " " No worries," he smiled and zipped up his guitar case. " See you later, Lyla."